Shaper Origin Question - where to see one in action???

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Shaper Origin Question - where to see one in action???

Post by RFGuy »

It seems like a few of the members here own Shaper Origins' handheld CNC. I was just curious if you got to see one up close and in person before deciding to buy one? I am not ready for one of these in my shop just yet and can't afford it right now. Still, I am curious about it so I checked on their website to consider for the future. There seems to be only a handful of dealers for the product, and none in my area. If you own one, did you get to see it in a store, possibly with a demo, before deciding to buy? It seems like a hard purchase to make without getting to see a demo and/or having hands-on with it first, but maybe that is just me...

Shaper Origin Dealers:
https://www.shapertools.com/en-us/findus
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
reible
Platinum Member

Re: Shaper Origin Question - where to see one in action???

Post by reible »

The only SO I have seen in person is mine. I did of course watch the videos online and followed some of the discussions here and there.

I also purchased mine early, not as early as some but early when there was still a chance that the whole thing might fail and I could have lost my money. By the time I ordered I was pretty confident that things were a "go".

Like wise I never saw a shopsmith until mine arrived and I put it together. At the time it was pretty much a hope on my part that it would be as flexible as it turned out to be. Back in 1976 one did not have the options of seeing the machines in action or a forum to go to for answers.

I would say that even a lot of the places selling these do not have demos for you to go to, well at least now.

I'd offer to show off mine if you happen to be near me for some reason but we will have to have good weather as in warmer and no rain or snow so I can do it out of doors.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I bought mine very early on. I think it was the second production run for sale to the public. At that time the only way to get one was directly from Shaper. As Ed said the only one I have actually seen is mine.

I did not know there were third party sellers now. I would say that is a testament to the quality of the machine. I see M & M Tools in Salt Lake sells them now.

There are many videos on YouTube. They very well show it's capabilities. It really does what they say it will. I have not seen any negative comments.

I don't think you will be disappointed if you eventually get one
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

Here are a list of dealers that sell Shaper Origins.

https://www.shapertools.com/en-us/findus

If you live near one give them a call to see if you can get some hands on. Also Shaper Tools is running a sale from now until Christmas so if you decide to buy it might be cheaper to buy direct from them or at least see if the distributor will match the sale price.

Sorry I just saw you already have this info. Try calling Shaper directly to see if they can put you in contact with an owner in your area. They also go to some woodworking shows and they could give you that info also.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. Yeah, it is definitely on my radar, so that is why I was trying to check it out and see if I could see one some time in the not too distant future. I know there are several flat bed CNC manufacturers that do demos at my local Rockler a few times a year. Just surprised that Shaper doesn't do this at Rockler, at least not yet. I hadn't previously searched for Shaper Origin, but I kept seeing ads for it popping up the past few months on my browser. I noticed a couple of ads that specifically talked about coming to see one at a nearby store and kind of implied demos of the tool. That is what prompted me to go to the website and see where their dealers were, but none are close. Having just checked and finding out that the parent company of Festool has purchased Shaper Tools, I guess it makes sense to me now that Rockler doesn't carry the Shaper Origin since they don't carry Festool either. Maybe it will come to Woodcraft before too long. Just keeping an eye out to see if I can see one in the wild in the coming new year. At these price points, that is quite the leap of faith to take on a single tool without having eyes on first, but I understand this is just how it goes sometimes with these purchases.

https://toolguyd.com/festool-parent-acq ... nc-router/
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

This is the ad that I keep seeing advertising it. The ad was enough to pique my interest, but like I said no store near me. I have to get caught up on some house projects and some shop projects before I seriously consider one of these and could have the time to dedicate to a CNC. Before dropping $3k on it though, I would like to see one of them up close and in action. No rush though, so thanks for all the responses on this thread...
ShaperOrigin.jpg
ShaperOrigin.jpg (29 KiB) Viewed 16854 times
📶RF Guy

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

If you are serious about getting one then you might want to check out the offers they have going on now.

Shaper $2499, free shipping, free 5 rolls of ShaperTape(5*18=$90 value), and available 0% financing, plus a 30 day risk-free trial. That is the best deal I have seen from them since they started selling on the open market.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

reible wrote:If you are serious about getting one then you might want to check out the offers they have going on now.

Shaper $2499, free shipping, free 5 rolls of ShaperTape(5*18=$90 value), and available 0% financing, plus a 30 day risk-free trial. That is the best deal I have seen from them since they started selling on the open market.

Ed
Thanks Ed. I wasn't aware of the 0% financing, which could be a good option to go with (too bad the PowerPro doesn't have 0% financing :) ). Still, I have way too much to get done right now, that I couldn't really put enough time into learning the SO just yet. If I can get over the hump a bit on my current projects, it is definitely something for me to consider next year perhaps.
📶RF Guy

sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

Hey, I just saw that Rockler is starting to sell Shaper Origins. If you have a store near you they should have one soon to try out.