Shaper Origin Question - where to see one in action???

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Shaper Origin Question - where to see one in action???

Post by RFGuy »

sehast wrote:Hey, I just saw that Rockler is starting to sell Shaper Origins. If you have a store near you they should have one soon to try out.
Thanks Steve. If Rockler has it now, then an in store demo can't be too far out...

So, I see 2 models for sale at Rockler. One is $2500 and the other one is $3100. Only difference I see is the extra $600 gets you a 2 year warranty. Is that correct? $600 seems like a lot for an extended warranty.

https://www.rockler.com/shaper-origin-h ... cnc-router
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

I have had mine for almost 2 years with no problems at all. I would say the extra warranty is not worth it. If something is wrong you will usually know it right away and product seems to have enough quality to last beyond 2 years.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Rockler is sell them online. At least at this point they are shipped from Shaper and not in stores.

Some time ago they had a link to them then that went away so I think there was something in the works for a long while now.

I'm going to be at my Rockler store sometime next week and I have a little talk to see what they know about this.

The pro warranty is more for professionals:

Shaper Pro is designed with the professional user in mind. Enhanced support, an extended warranty, and hot swap repairs reduce the possibility of project delays and help you meet your deadlines.
Warranty: Extended to 2 Years
Rapid Replace: Replacement Shipped Immediately
Enhanced Support: Live Phone Support - Weekdays 9-5 PST

At this time, Pro phone support is available only in English.

I was having some issues and they shipped me a new unit and I returned the old one very quickly even on the standard warranty. Turned out it was static related so I have since gone to my CT26 vac and not had any other issues.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Highland Woodworking also lists them on there web site now.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
STB
Gold Member

Post by STB »

There is a demonstration unit at woodworkers emporium in Las Vegas. See third slide.
https://www.woodworkersemporium.com/
Glenn
I create problem solving challenges and opportunities for design modification, not mistakes.

SS 520 born 04/16/03, Power Station mounted Band saw , Scroll saw, Jointer, Belt sander, Overarm router, dedicated Mark V drill press, SS Maxi-clamp system, Shopsmith woodworking bench
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Woodsmith just made a YouTube video.
https://youtu.be/4l6MnjQWfyo
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Woodsmith just made a YouTube video.
https://youtu.be/4l6MnjQWfyo
A bit misleading vs-a-vi the tape. I have one. No way he needed that much tape to cut that part or have to add tape.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

FYI....Got my Rockler sales flyer this week and noticed Shaper Origin advertised in it for the first time I have seen. So it says it is only available in the Seattle, WA, Beaverton, OR, Rocklin, and Orange, CA locations only. So, looks like this won't be rolling out to Rockler stores across the country anytime soon. Only online for the those of us not living in these cities.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

Shaper updated their distributors list. Is Timber Woodworking Machinery near you?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Timbe ... 11.8106302
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

sehast wrote:Shaper updated their distributors list. Is Timber Woodworking Machinery near you?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Timbe ... 11.8106302
Thanks. Yes, Timber is maybe 20 minutes away. I'll take a look and see if they have it on display, but what I am really looking for is a demo to see it in action, in person. Again, I need to restate that I can't afford this purchase right now. I am looking for any Shaper demos near me in the near->distant future so that I can make up my mind on the tool, i.e. decide if I want to save up to eventually purchase something like it or not. Rockler has at least a few different live CNC demos at my local store every year, so my hope is they will have some kind of roadshow for the Shaper Origin and bring it through sometime just like they do for the fixed bed CNC's. Might be wishful thinking on my part, but hoping it will get this treatment. I appreciate all of the feedback on this thread.
📶RF Guy