Shaper Origin Question - where to see one in action???

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

sehast
Gold Member

Re: Shaper Origin Question - where to see one in action???

Post by sehast »

I finally had some success convoluted as it is. I drew the vector in Aspire with the triangle placed where it needs to be but just as a shape, not filled. Then I saved as an SVG. I used Powerpoint to open the SVG. Just click insert a picture and select SVG format. Then Convert to Shape and ungroup if necessary. You now select the triangle and use the Shape Outline and Shape fill to change it to dark red. Then select the entire graphic and save it as a picture in a SVG format. When I downloaded that SVG to the SO I had a custom anchor.
I think you could use any drawing app that generates a SVG and then use Powerpoint to edit the triangle. Anyway this works for me and I didn't have to get or learn another app.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

For anyone who owns a Shaper Origin you may want to check them out on Instagram, if you haven't already. Lately they have been posting way too many items on my IG feed...to the point that I intend to unfollow them because it is just too much content. Some of it includes customer submitted images and short videos. However, what might be interesting is Shaper has been posting some rather long instructional videos with their in-house demonstrators that look quite useful for beginners as well as advanced users. Shaper's IG handle is "shapertools" if you are interested...
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:56 pm For anyone who owns a Shaper Origin you may want to check them out on Instagram, if you haven't already. Lately they have been posting way too many items on my IG feed...to the point that I intend to unfollow them because it is just too much content. Some of it includes customer submitted images and short videos. However, what might be interesting is Shaper has been posting some rather long instructional videos with their in-house demonstrators that look quite useful for beginners as well as advanced users. Shaper's IG handle is "shapertools" if you are interested...
I don't do IG so I don't have that problem. :D However, I wonder if the videos you reference are the ones that they have been posting on YouTube. There are lots of good instructional videos on their YT channel.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

jsburger wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:19 pm I don't do IG so I don't have that problem. :D However, I wonder if the videos you reference are the ones that they have been posting on YouTube. There are lots of good instructional videos on their YT channel.
John,

It could be. I haven't checked, but I assume some are probably posted on both. Festool and other companies do similar where they have a live stream that they record on one platform and then release it on other platforms. I only subscribe to IG to get inspiration and ideas for woodworking projects...hate that FB bought them several years back.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:22 pm
jsburger wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:19 pm I don't do IG so I don't have that problem. :D However, I wonder if the videos you reference are the ones that they have been posting on YouTube. There are lots of good instructional videos on their YT channel.
John,

It could be. I haven't checked, but I assume some are probably posted on both. Festool and other companies do similar where they have a live stream that they record on one platform and then release it on other platforms. I only subscribe to IG to get inspiration and ideas for woodworking projects...hate that FB bought them several years back.
Subscribe to their YouTube channel. Lots of good stuff there. New videos on Thursdays.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

jsburger wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:25 pm Subscribe to their YouTube channel. Lots of good stuff there. New videos on Thursdays.
Is there a USA based channel for them? I looked at YT just now under the Shaper channel name and a lot of the recent vids posted are in foreign languages. These are NOT what I have seen recently on my IG feed from them. So, now I am not sure. At least Festool has a Festool USA channel that is separate from their international channel. Looks like Shaper hasn't figured that one out yet...
📶RF Guy

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:29 pm
jsburger wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:25 pm Subscribe to their YouTube channel. Lots of good stuff there. New videos on Thursdays.
Is there a USA based channel for them? I looked at YT just now under the Shaper channel name and a lot of the recent vids posted are in foreign languages. These are NOT what I have seen recently on my IG feed from them. So, now I am not sure. At least Festool has a Festool USA channel that is separate from their international channel. Looks like Shaper hasn't figured that one out yet...
:confused: :confused: :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/c/Shapertools
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

jsburger wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:52 pm

See pic below and note all the French and German flags on the vids. Their titles aren't in English either
Shaper.jpg
Shaper.jpg (170.32 KiB) Viewed 2216 times
📶RF Guy

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:03 pm
jsburger wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:52 pm

See pic below and note all the French and German flags on the vids. Their titles aren't in English either

Shaper.jpg
But the English ones are there also. Most of the French ad German ones are translations of the English ones. Just subscribe. You will get them all. There are way more English ones than foreign ones. Scroll down.

BTW, I subscribe to the Fusion 360 channel. There are French and German translations of the English posts. Everything they post is in English with translations.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

John,

Okay, I just took another look this morning and so far it doesn't look like the IG videos are on YT. For example, there is a series Shaper does on IG called lunchbreak with Jake. There is a 21 min video from a day ago where he covers making custom tool holders for tools on a french cleat tool wall. Then a week ago, there is an 8 min video where he goes over clamps. The week before that is a 21 min video where he covers all of the different types of cutters available for the Shaper Origin. There are other shorter tips&tricks type videos and advertisements on IG as well, but I was mainly wanting to highlight the lunchbreak type videos posted every week on IG. I guess if you are interested you would have to join IG to see them. It looks to be a similar kind of format to where Sedge at Festool does his weekly live Festool Live Friday videos, but theirs streams on YT and is available afterwards for replay on IG and YT. Maybe Shaper will eventually put these on YT.
📶RF Guy