Christmas Project #3

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

john
Platinum Member

Christmas Project #3

Post by john »

Finally finished the corner shelf for my grandaughter to display her Christmas village. I wanted to make it easy to remove the shelves and have it fold for storage but that proved harder than I thought. I put a piano hinge up the center so it could fold, but it can fold to 90 degrees to use as a shelf, but not the other way. It will go flat though so storage is easy once the shelves are removed.

To make the shelves removable, I drilled holes through the shelves and into the supports. The idea being that pins, I used wheel axles, would hold them in place and prevent the sides from spreading outward. However, I forgot the laws of physics. A little downward pressure on the leading edge caused the rear pins to pop out and the shelf to fall. Back to square one. I had to install small metal corner brakets on the rear of the supports to screw into the underside of the shelves. They can still be removed, but with a little more effort.

A half circle cut out of the inside corner of each shelf allows wires to run up the unit for the lighting systems.

I can't seem to find how to rotate these in the post. :confused:

More to come.

John
Attachments
20191215_141352.jpg
20191215_141352.jpg (644.68 KiB) Viewed 11172 times
20191215_141518.jpg
20191215_141518.jpg (644.71 KiB) Viewed 11172 times
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Re: Christmas Project #3

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Looks great, John! Has your granddaughter seen it yet?
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Buckeye:

Thanks for the comment.

Delivered yesterday, hope to have pictures of it decorated soon.

John
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

john wrote: To make the shelves removable, I drilled holes through the shelves and into the supports. The idea being that pins, I used wheel axles, would hold them in place and prevent the sides from spreading outward. However, I forgot the laws of physics. A little downward pressure on the leading edge caused the rear pins to pop out and the shelf to fall. Back to square one. I had to install small metal corner brackets on the rear of the supports to screw into the underside of the shelves. They can still be removed, but with a little more effort.

A half circle cut out of the inside corner of each shelf allows wires to run up the unit for the lighting systems.

I can't seem to find how to rotate these in the post. :confused:

More to come.

John
The easiest way I have found is to take all photos in landscape mode.

To keep processing time to a minimum the cameras in phones store all photos as if they were taken in landscape mode, and then store a flag as to the actual orientation.

Almost all software that display photos then look at the flag and rotate accordingly.

Unfortunately, the programmers of the (free, opensource) forum software feel that it isn't their problem and users should rotate their pictures before posting :(

Re the "lifting" shelves. One solution could be a rare earth magnet between the bottom/back corner of the shelves and the cleats. :)
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Ron:

Thanks for the information, especially the rare earth magnet tip. I actually have a bunch on hand but never thought of this. If I make another,( my daughter might want one), I will certainly try this method before resorting to screws.

John
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

I just made one of those.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

I built one of these last year, looks good.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless