Trying to find a good home for my father's 1955 Shopsmith

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

NavyGeo
Bronze Member

Re: Trying to find a good home for my father's 1955 Shopsmith

Post by NavyGeo »

I’m now in Magma, Arizona. The ShopSmith is with me, along with a Bandsaw attachment I purchased. I also corrected the mistakes and also rewired the motor with a grounded plug. I still don’t have a place to use it, but I will be keeping it. My father passed away last May; I’m going to learn to use it to honor his memory.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Too BAD you relocated to the Az rather than Ut!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Az and Ut are right next to each other. How far could it be to go to the next state? Ma is 1/2 mile away from me and Ct is less than 20 miles away.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Well, for me to get from where I live in UT to the AZ boarder it is 340 miles. States out west are a LOT bigger than in New England. :rolleyes:
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

It really is a different kind of world out west. The scale of the difference is stunning. Here's a typical US map with our tiny state being a yellow blob. On maps of the whole country it's usually represented larger than it's actual size to make it give enough shape to recognize.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Yes, all of New England will fit in most western states.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Johnryan30
Bronze Member

Post by Johnryan30 »

NavyGeo wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:20 pm Again, thank to each of you who has responded. Since many of you have been so helpful with letting me know correct installations, I've decided to bring the Shopsmith to my carport from storage and I'm going to attempt to get everything fitted correctly, and to make an area to keep extras.
With luck I'll have it home on Sunday or Monday. After that I'll give it a good cleaning/servicing and then I'll send some better photographs.
I would love to aquire your father's SS. I currently have a 10er (1950's model) that's missing quite a few parts and accessories. But I could give it a good home and put it to good use making things with it. My 10er is currently only being used as a lathe because I don't have the necessary parts to utilize the other features. And unfortunately I think the bearings are going bad on it because it has a slight wobble in the quill/output shaft. Anyway I thought you mentioned that you moved back to the west. What part? I am currently in northern California (just south of redding) Chico to be exact. But maybe we can figure out a way to work something out
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Johnryan30,

This thread is over 7 months old. NavyGeo was only active on this thread last May and is likely not following the Forum any longer although I could be wrong. His Mark 5 was made in May 1955. The reason I mention this is there have been a lot of changes made to the Mark 5/V since then. I am not saying his Mark 5 is one to be avoided just a consideration when it comes to keeping it running. More on that to follow. I would recommend you check out local sales for a Mark V in your area. Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace are good places to start. You may wonder why I use both Mark 5 and Mark V. Mark 5 was what the tool was called since its introduction in 1954 until 1980 and can be seen on the Vent/Serial Number Plate on the Belt Cover as shown under the serial number in the picture in NavyGeo's first post. In 1980 it changed to Mark V as seen on the Vent/Serial Number Plate.

Having one of the Mark 5's made in the 1950's means more parts have to be changed sometimes if repairs are needed. The early Mark 5's had a 3/4 HP Motor as opposed to the 1-1/8 HP Motor later Mark 5/V's have. There is also the difference in having the older Gilmer drive verses the Poly V Drive. Getting a Mark 5/V does mean there are still new OEM parts available from Shopsmith. For your Model 10ER there is not with only two exceptions. Getting new OEM parts can mean having to upgrade because some older equivalent parts are no longer available. Besides the original Mark 5/V there are newer Table Systems with the original now called the 500. This was followed by the Mark V 510 and 505 then later the Mark V 520. It is the Table/Fence System including the Carriage that make the different models. The only Mark V model still available new is the 520s.

As for your Model 10ER there are many used parts that can be found at online auctions to make it work like new. I have done it myself. If the bearings have never been replaced that would be a good starting point. Since you said it has a "slight wobble" I would recommend checking the Spindle first to make sure it is straight before putting new bearings on it for the Quill Assembly.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.