Dad's Retirement Gift

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rjent
Platinum Member

Re: Dad's Retirement Gift

Post by rjent »

That is an astounding piece of art. Congratulations, very well done! :cool:
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Looks like a lot of sanding , nice job!!
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Wonderful! I'm impressed with how realistic the wind-blown flag effect is! cloth blowing in the wind! Did you do the grinding by eye or work from a photo?
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

farmerwd
Gold Member

Post by farmerwd »

Ha - Lots of sanding! I think I spent about 7 hours or so doing it, and I only know that because I was an hour short of finishing the audiobook I had going at the time LOL

And @algale Both. I took a flag photo, and did a rough shadow/highlight map like this...
flad light and shadow map
flad light and shadow map
flag_small-80.jpg (65.93 KiB) Viewed 22325 times
I placed a transparent version of that on my plans, and printed it off. That essentially gave me a map to eyeball the lines onto the flag. If you squint, you can see what I mean:
Pencil marks on flag
Pencil marks on flag
MVIMG_20200123_212033.jpg (136.93 KiB) Viewed 22325 times
From there it was using the grinder and roughing it to a spot that felt good / deep enough cuts to show some movement. I didn't take any video of the process, but I did take some photos so I might put together an instructable to show it all together.

All in all it was totally doable - the scariest part was the thought of screwing up on expensive wood.
Brand new to Shopsmiths - Working with & working on a MarkV - SS54109.
Steele510
Gold Member

Post by Steele510 »

That is outstanding, such creative artwork and a superb tribute to Dad. Top notch craftsmanship and realism. Certainly beyond my skill and abilities.

That said, I can't help but be concerned that given the remarkable quality of that project that others who see it will run out and start trying to replicate it. You mentioned "carved it with an angle grinder chain-saw attachment...". Great respect for you, I am nervous at the sight of such a tool. Have you seen Stumpy Nubs (YouTube creator) incident he had with his carving tool recently? Seriously, not trying to suggest they can't be operated safely, I'm no expert, but please please do be SAFE everyone.

farmerwd
Gold Member

Post by farmerwd »

Steele510 wrote:t please please do be SAFE everyone.
Thank you and Whole heartedly agree!!!

Going into that particular piece was my most concern, and I jumped over to the flapdisks for rough sanding ASAP. As with almost all wood tools, they are INHERENTLY dangerous - and we can only try and mitigate where possible. I made a few test cuts / runs with it before I made it over to the main piece, trying to get a feel for it.

The risk was never totally mitigated, but all guards were attached, I angled the piece up on the extension table to be closer to my sight lines (maybe 60deg?), and learned through experimentation that the "top right" quadrant was the safest cutting edge to be on. *WHEN* a catch or a gouge happened, that quadrant wanted to pull the machine away from your body rather than towards it, making it easier to plan your safety zone for hands, body, and cable.

All that to say... it has the capability of being a gruesome tool no doubt.
Brand new to Shopsmiths - Working with & working on a MarkV - SS54109.
moggymatt
Platinum Member

Post by moggymatt »

Beautifully done.
Paul B
dick1911
Bronze Member

Post by dick1911 »

That is a stupendous piece of woodworking art! Beautifully done.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Beautiful job. I'm sure he will love and cherish it.
Hey RFGuy...I'm with you re http://scottssharpening.com/. He's the best around. Have you been to his new location? I'm in Snowflake and had to make a trip to Sky Harbor so, brought some blades. Man...was it an adventurous and confusing trip from the airport to his place. His Glendale shop was much easier to find. Plus, there just ain't no way to get back to Snowflake from there. Had to retrace my route to get back to the 60. From now on, blades get shipped.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Gene Howe wrote:Beautiful job. I'm sure he will love and cherish it.
Hey RFGuy...I'm with you re http://scottssharpening.com/. He's the best around. Have you been to his new location? I'm in Snowflake and had to make a trip to Sky Harbor so, brought some blades. Man...was it an adventurous and confusing trip from the airport to his place. His Glendale shop was much easier to find. Plus, there just ain't no way to get back to Snowflake from there. Had to retrace my route to get back to the 60. From now on, blades get shipped.
Thanks Gene. No, I haven't used Scotts sharpening yet. I was about to a while back, but then did a thorough blade cleaning and decided my Forrest blade didn't need it just yet. I got the recommendation for him on this forum, but I can't remember who suggested him (maybe you did). Thanks for the info. If I head out to his place, I will try GPS, but may ask for detailed directions from him before I go. Thanks again.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor