Hmmm... Food for thought...

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ericolson
Gold Member

Post by ericolson »

How was Shopsmith born? Seriously, what was the genesis of the Shopsmith 10ER which led to the evolution of the MK V? I ask these questions after reading about the demise of Sawdust Sessions and what appears, on the surface, to be a cleaning house of Shopsmith's assets. Then I read Mr. Folkerth's post. Then I read it again, and again, and again. In his post he mentions "opportunity", I believe. But, the jist of the post was that SS is tightening its belt and preparing for... what?
Back to my two questions: Shopsmith was born out of necessity at the close of WWII. Returning GI's were coming back to the birth of suburbia. These same returning GI's were also survivors of the Great Depression and determined to not have to got through that again. The Great Depression and WWII also bred a generation of do-it-yourselfers that didn't want to be dependent on anyone for anything. If they couldn't fix it or build it themselves, then they didn't need it.
Fast forward to the last several months, specifically the last several weeks, of economic chaos. Has anyone read the market reports or checked out some of the financial news on Drudge today? Looks like the planet's economy is about to go in the tank. Even if it doesn't, it certainly won't be recovering from this mess overnight!
People lose their jobs. Families tighten their belts. They don't buy new things. They fix what they've got or build it themselves. All to stretch the dollar. People on tight budgets can't afford a shop full of stand alone tools and machinery. People on tight budgets just MIGHT be able afford a single, multi-purpose, machine on a payment plan. Yes, I know credit is a bear to get right now. But credit will open back up as the market recovers. But people will still be afraid to spend money willy-nilly like they used to. And the independence they get from learning how to (finally) do-it-themselves may just breed a new generation of Americans that don't have the "disposable purchase" mentality.
Maybe I've thought WAY too deep into a very simple explanation from Mr. Folkerth. But I, for one, can see an opportunity here.
Eric
Rock Creek Designs

Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!
pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

I've thought that a credit program for SS buyers was needed from my first interest in their products.
Credit isn't a dirty word when used properly. I know it is harder to find credit worthy consumers in todays economy, but the ones that are still out there should be considered gems.
Most buyers can't put $4-5K down on the table to buy a woodworking machine when their house cost them over 300K, and it is a fixer upper.
Just food for thought.
John, aka. Pinkie. 1-520, 1-510 & a Shorty, OPR. 520 upgrade, Band Saw, Jig Saw, scroll saw, Jointer, Jointech Saw Train.:) Delta Benchtop planer, Makita LS1016L 10" sliding compound miter saw, Trojan manf. (US Made)Miter saw work center, MiniMax MM16 bandsaw.
Squire of the Shopsmith. ...hmmmm, maybe knave, pawn, or wretch would be more appropriate for me.:D
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I don't know why, Eric, but Shopsmith has been tightening its belt ever since I have known anything about Shopsmith financials. I sure wish I could have a look at the books and see for myself.

Yes, every one who uses money to transact business is going to have some tough days ahead. Even the President now seems to realize that.

Yes, there is opportunity in this. Some of us are going to do as you suggest. We are going to tighten our belts and rather than buy new we are going to build or repair our own. The people I am concerned about are those that don't know how to use a measuring stick, or drive a nail or secure a drill bit in a keyless chuck. The opportunities for these folks are limited - but then maybe, just maybe that is the real opportunity.

Things are going to get tight. To fix your own Shopsmith you might need parts. If Shopsmith is not going to be stocking what we need, I sure hope Bill Mayo has it. With this thought in mind, on October 2 I placed an order for about $300 worth of "repair and upgrade parts". On Oct 3 all but $43 worth of that order shipped. If the front rail (the $43 item) doesn't come in I'll have to live with one less floating table. Other than that, I am ready (as is my Shopsmith equipment) for an extended use period. I have 2 cans of wax and a new can of oil.

Back on track, please. I strongly suggest that everyone take a good look at their machines and at the same time the list of the 17 most ordered Shopsmith parts. If your machine doesn't appear to be up to the task - consider laying in some parts.

What ever you do - don't put off cleaning and oiling. If you want to terminate that puppy, not caring for its major needs (wax and oil) is one way to do just that.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Hi Eric! - I've had almost the exact same thoughts. I don't think you are coming from "out of the park" at all.

A severe recession, or heaven forbid, a depression, will lead to shortages and lower prices for everything - if you can get it at all. Including groceries. Hoarding, and shortages will undoubtedly occur.

Do-it yourself will become a way of life for many. We'll probably see chickens in the back yard and cat fish in what used to be swimming pools.

Now to the bright spot for tool manufacturers, They will need an inexpensive, useful tool, in order for it to sell.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

Thanks Dusty, I have been stock piling Shopsmith 500 parts since 1992 when the factory stores closed. Other than bearings and belts, the quadrant (504221) is the most replaced item (90% of headstocks I repair) so be sure to have a couple on hand. The control sheave (515556) (10% of the headstocks I repair) is the next item to keep on hand.

If the headstock was lubicated and sawdust blown out of the headstock a couple times a year, I believe you should never need to do any repairs. I operated a 1954 headstock for over 30 years that I lubicated and cleaned about every 5 years (had to be disassembeld to lubicate it) until the drive belt was less than 1/4" in width before it quit operating.

[quote="dustyThings are going to get tight. To fix your own Shopsmith you might need parts. If Shopsmith is not going to be stocking what we need, I sure hope Bill Mayo has it. With this thought in mind, on October 2 I placed an order for about $300 worth of "repair and upgrade parts". On Oct 3 all but $43 worth of that order shipped. If the front rail (the $43 item) doesn't come in I'll have to live with one less floating table. Other than that, I am ready (as is my Shopsmith equipment) for an extended use period. I have 2 cans of wax and a new can of oil.

Back on track, please. I strongly suggest that everyone take a good look at their machines and at the same time the list of the 17 most ordered Shopsmith parts. If your machine doesn't appear to be up to the task - consider laying in some parts.

What ever you do - [U"]don't put off cleaning and oiling[/U]. If you want to terminate that puppy, not caring for its major needs (wax and oil) is one way to do just that.[/quote]
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

billmayo wrote:Thanks Dusty, I have been stock piling Shopsmith 500 parts since 1992 when the factory stores closed. Other than bearings and belts, the quadrant (504221) is the most replaced item (90% of headstocks I repair) so be sure to have a couple on hand. The control sheave (515556) (10% of the headstocks I repair) is the next item to keep on hand.

If the headstock was lubicated and sawdust blown out of the headstock a couple times a year, I believe you should never need to do any repairs. I operated a 1954 headstock for over 30 years that I lubicated and cleaned about every 5 years (had to be disassembeld to lubicate it) until the drive belt was less than 1/4" in width before it quit operating.
Thanks Bill, for the tips on what parts are the most likely to need replaced, even if it might be years before the need.:)
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
Randy
Gold Member

Post by Randy »

What is the panic on parts for? I have run mine now since 88 without a spare screw!

No need to panic, from what I have read, SS in streamlining, not closing.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Randy wrote:What is the panic on parts for? I have run mine now since 88 without a spare screw!

I agree that there is no reason to panic. Furthermore, if your machine has been properly cared for, it will probably run for ever. I bought a few parts to help ensure that this Shopsmith can be maintained for even longer. I have daughters and grandchildren that use my machines and are becoming woodworkers.

My garage full of Shopsmith equipment is being prepared to service still another generation of users.:)
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Randy wrote:What is the panic on parts for? I have run mine now since 88 without a spare screw!

Hey! If everybody panics, there will be a run on parts. Some will get them right away, some will get them when they later become available. That should keep ShopSmith busy for a while, and keep the cash flow going too! Everybody; panic now!:D
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.