Travelling Academies - Questions

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rallen
Silver Member

Post by rallen »

Anyone know if there are plans for the academies to come up towards the Detroit area in the coming year? Even Toledo would be nice! I see I just missed a set in Cleveland last Thanksgiving....

I just finished re-conditioning the 61 that I was given, but now I need to learn what to do with it!!!!

Robert
rkh2
Platinum Member

Travelling Academies

Post by rkh2 »

I have been to several travelling academies and plan on attending one in Brentwood, TN at the end of March. They are well worth the expense and you will learn some very useful information on all three days. I really recommend attending, especially for someone new to Shopsmith. Take a notebook as there will be a bunch of information to write and it all will be useful later. Also there a some really sweet deals on accessories that you will not find anywhere else, so come prepared to spend a little if you like great deals. You also get to meet other owners, some with lots of experience and some brand new. You will come away feeling satisfied and rearing to make some sawdust when you get back home.

Ron From Lewisburg, TN
Ron from Lewisburg, TN
papahammer8
Gold Member

Post by papahammer8 »

when will the academy come back to my area just missed them last month was in atlanta area do to my years of making sawdust thought the word BACSIC would be like learning some very bascic but know after reading the forums wish i had taking the time if not to learn atleast meet other ss owners to share their ideas i am on my secons mk5 just beginng to get back in to my shop thanks jim i lived in the montongomery al. area
rkh2
Platinum Member

Traveling Academies

Post by rkh2 »

It has been my observation that the travelling academies usually come around close to every 6 months or so. I usually keep checking the Shopsmith web site and click on the travelling academy link. They usually have them listed about 3 months or so in advance and you can also save some money by signing up early. You definitely will want to attend one as you can tell by reading all the posts telling about them. I have been to several and always came away satisfied and with more knowledge.
Ron from Lewisburg, TN
papahammer8
Gold Member

Post by papahammer8 »

Thanks for academy infomation.let me apologize for my typing etiquite. i am a carpenter by trade. not a secretary. i've just purchased my second ss a 1981 model. it was not well taking careof. i have been fighting the speed control. believe i have figured out how to adjust the speed control tried after work today no sucess. took off rear ss plat look at the sheave the belt was about half way. tried to losen setscrewand backed it off and retighten but still not correct.well keep trying. i bought a new ss in 1980. bought planer jointer,bandsaw. lost it when my kids were growing up due to economics not kids grown and gone. so back to my shop. found my present ss in an old house about to be torn down. bought it cheap. but now i am making some good profits for ss plan on a complete shop at soonest possible time. ss might be a lil pricey but why skip on quality. i am a firm believer in ss thanks ss . this forum is one of the quality tools from ss. only smart to ask a ? before u leap into what might be a expensive mistake. but i firmly believe u can't go wrong with ss. lookin forward to many more year in my shop. so what if setup takes to long to complete why the hurry quality craftmanship doesn't come quikly. enjoy the time in your shop. the outcome is always enjoyable. papahammer8
jdolan
Bronze Member

Post by jdolan »

jm,
I am a fairly recent inheritor of a SS (now upgraded to 520 status), and I have attended two full TAs. I highly recommend you do all three days. Even if you get a chance to do another three, it would be worth it. You are ready to hear more and ask better questions the second time. Go and enjoy!

jdolan
terson525
Bronze Member

classes

Post by terson525 »

Hi:

I attended all three classes in Jan. this year in Orlando Fl. I found these classes and the information transfer to be very helpful to me. The first class covers the maint. and machine alignment. Also very many useful tips on verification of all the different set ups.

The instruction was very professional and the camaraderie with other SS owners was great, plus my wife was able to attend the classes at no charge. This is a big plus in my book. If they can see what this is all about then there will be less whining when you want to add another feature.

Terry
ricknwood
Gold Member

Academy layoffs

Post by ricknwood »

By now, most of you have heard that about a month ago, Dayton laid off a number of people of which the Academy was not spared. This was something that needed to be done to make the company more financially secure and allow for future growth. I'm sorry to say but, the instructors for the East Coast and the Mid West were two of the individuals who were let go. I am the instructor for the 11 Western and the only one that survived the cut. If you live outside of the Western States there is currently no Academy. There will be specific markets outside of that region, depending on ownership count, that I may be coming into, but nothing has been discussed currently. Shopsmith will be doing its marketing and training one the Internet in the future and I'm not sure if they will go back to instructors or not. I hope this company change will not cause you much worry or inconvinence, but it was something that was needed. If you have any further questions regarding these changes, I'm sure the company will be happy to answer them. You can also contact me through the forum and I will try to help. If you contact me, be patient as I am on the road most of the time.
Thanks,
Traveling Academy Instructor, Rick Davis
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

ricknwood wrote: You can also contact me through the forum and I will try to help. If you contact me, be patient as I am on the road most of the time.
Thanks,
Traveling Academy Instructor, Rick Davis
Thanks fir the note, Rick! Gotta tell you - I just LOVE your Forum name! Thought of a guy in Montana a few years ago who was busy stacking up his fire wood he just cut and split. Someone asked what are you doing? Answer, "Rick'n Wood". Thought that's how you came by the moniker.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
jud
Bronze Member

Travelling Academies

Post by jud »

Don't know if you have heard the most recent news about the Travelling Academies. Shop Smith has for some reason decided to discontinue them! I recently signed up for all three only to be informed a couple of weeks later that the classes had been cancelled. When I looked into going to Dayton for the ongoing instruction at the factory I found the "free" session cost almost $400 and the others were even more than that. Please everyone should use their influence to pressure SS to reinstate this very important opportunity.