Horizontal Boring

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

berry
Platinum Member

Horizontal Boring

Post by berry »

Over the years I've not used this feature but once or twice. But I've got a project now where I drilling for set screws on a wooden gear clock. What a wonderful feature!!!
OWGC 904.jpg
OWGC 904.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 7904 times
cham-ed
Gold Member

Re: Horizontal Boring

Post by cham-ed »

I haven't needed it often either. But when you do WOW. There are times nothing else will do.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I use it very often. I prefer it over raising to vertical.

Requires resetting the head space.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

+1 on what JPG said. I'm always horizontal-boring, most often too lazy to go vertical :) Nice project there!
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I use it quite often. I join boards with dowels, and the horizontal boring feature allows me to easily line up the boards for perfect alignment.
theinrichs
Gold Member

Post by theinrichs »

Has anyone used the horizontal boring feature for drilling holes for table leaf pins and sleeves? I'm working on a dining table restoration project and have made six new table leaves and intend to use Lee Valley table-leaf alignment pins. I'm thinking the boring feature would provide more stability and accuracy compared to using a doweling jig but would like to hear about pros/cons from other members. Would appreciate any comments. Thanks.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I only use horizonal boring for joining boards edge to edge with dowels. I use doweling centers for general purpose doweling, but edge joining two boards is easy if you get the drill aligned dead center on the edge. Set a stop on your fence, bore one board, and then bore the other board oriented upside down. I usually do 3 dowels and can use the same stop for both ends, then set it for the center.

For table alignment pins I'm not sure what the best method is if they are metal. It's not like dowels that are smaller diameter than the hole. I suppose if you end up with one not mating right you can just move to the side and drill another hole. I think I'd probably use the doweling centers and try to get the holes drilled dead on.

Even with my dedicated drill press I'd never edge drill a board when I can lay it on the table and horizontal bore. Before I had a dedicated drill press I'd do anything I could in horizontal mode to avoid raising up into drill press mode.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
theinrichs
Gold Member

Post by theinrichs »

Thanks for your feedback, Ed. The horizontal boring method should work for the metal pins/sleeves I am using. Each pin shaft and mating sleeve require a 5/16" bored hole. I like your idea of using a stop block as you described.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

I recently built a lumber rack by boring a total of 60 3/4" holes at a 5° angle to receive o 1/2" EMT in the edges of, what became wall studs. It wouldn't have been easy at all without using the horizontal boring feature. The adjustable table made centering the holes a snap.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

" edge joining two boards is easy if you get the drill aligned dead center on the edge. Set a stop on your fence, bore one board, and then bore the other board oriented upside down. I usually do 3 dowels and can use the same stop for both ends, ""

I would take care to always make mating ends reference the same 'face'. Ya they MAY be centered perfectly, but the world ain't perfectly flat.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange