Mark VII and Mark 5/V Lower Saw Guard

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

redleg
Gold Member

Mark VII and Mark 5/V Lower Saw Guard

Post by redleg »

I think this might have came with one of the Mark VIIs that I bought some time ago. It was not originally green. If anyone has one of these or a picture of one could you share a photo of the area where it latches to the lower half of the guard. I have made a couple attempts at this but I only have half of the part needed. I would like to make a pattern with wood and then pour one from melted aluminum.
IMG_0435.JPG
IMG_0435.JPG (122.56 KiB) Viewed 6466 times
IMG_0433.JPG
IMG_0433.JPG (114.65 KiB) Viewed 6466 times
:D Mark 7 Power Pro, Mark V 510, Mark VII (early 1960s) Headstock wall mount drill press on Mark 5 way tubes, Mark 5 Shorty with reversible motor, Overhead Pin Router, Power station with band saw, Jointers, Belt Sanders, Strip Sander, Scroll saw, Jigsaw, Shopsmith Lathe Duplicator, Craftsman 2.5 hp 13" Planer/molder, Craftsman 5 hp 12-inch planer molder, myriad Shopsmith accessories, Harbor Freight sawmill with extensions to cut 22' logs.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Mark VII and Mark 5/V Lower Saw Guard

Post by chapmanruss »

I do not have one but here is the best picture I have to show what you are looking for.
505705 Lower and 505627 Upper Saw Blade Guard r.jpg
505705 Lower and 505627 Upper Saw Blade Guard r.jpg (181.33 KiB) Viewed 6455 times
This was for the Mark VII and is shown in this picture with the Upper Blade Guard P/N 505627 which was designed to fit the Mark VII lower guard you have along with P/N 505628 Lower Guard for the Mark 5. If you are wanting a lower guard to use on your Mark VII you could use the Mark 5 combination P/Ns 505627 and 505628.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
redleg
Gold Member

Post by redleg »

Thanks Russ that will work great. I think the key to making this work is the little hump in the part at the 11 o'clock position and the screw needs to be more perpendicular as in your photo. I have the other metal guard and upper guard you refer to but just wanted to restore it with this one also.
:D Mark 7 Power Pro, Mark V 510, Mark VII (early 1960s) Headstock wall mount drill press on Mark 5 way tubes, Mark 5 Shorty with reversible motor, Overhead Pin Router, Power station with band saw, Jointers, Belt Sanders, Strip Sander, Scroll saw, Jigsaw, Shopsmith Lathe Duplicator, Craftsman 2.5 hp 13" Planer/molder, Craftsman 5 hp 12-inch planer molder, myriad Shopsmith accessories, Harbor Freight sawmill with extensions to cut 22' logs.
harris2020
Silver Member

Post by harris2020 »

redleg wrote:Thanks Russ that will work great. I think the key to making this work is the little hump in the part at the 11 o'clock position and the screw needs to be more perpendicular as in your photo. I have the other metal guard and upper guard you refer to but just wanted to restore it with this one also.
It can be done with another way like it could be 11 o'clock and position could be triangle as it may be the best way to restore it!! i have also other metal guard and upper guard as refer for example to do!!
redleg
Gold Member

Post by redleg »

I poured an aluminum copy of a wooden mock-up. As rough as it turned out I might as well have done it on the Smithy mill to start with. The part was hard to hold in the mill vise but I ended up with a reasonable facsimile that does work. Thanks again Russ.
IMG_0437.JPG
IMG_0437.JPG (66.85 KiB) Viewed 5803 times
IMG_0446.JPG
IMG_0446.JPG (97.43 KiB) Viewed 5803 times
Still have to get a hex head socket screw next trip to town.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Nice job. It's great to see old parts getting repaired and being made useful again.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.