Introduction

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

SotaSon
Bronze Member

Introduction

Post by SotaSon »

Hi there,

Just wanted to introduce myself as a happy new shopsmith owner and new woodworker. I have been interested in finding a shopsmith on a budget for a few years, and I found one where the price was right!

Someone was giving away a '55 Mark V on craigslist. He inherited it 3 years ago from the original owner, and he never really tried to figure it out. He was tired of it taking up space in his garage so he gave it away, including multiple table saw blades/arbors, a molder, disc sanding wheel, drill chuck, lathe tools, bandsaw, jointer, jigsaw, and a non-shopsmith belt sander retrofitted for the shopsmith. The only thing I think is missing is the miter gauge, which I ordered on ebay.

I have been trying to do my research, but I figure this community will be a great resource for questions and guidance.

I tried lubricating the sheaves and starting it up, and it still seems to be in decent shape! I took the quill out to clean and lubricate and noticed the bearing is pretty bad, so that is my first project. The head unit and stand look like there is quite a bit of rust, but after further inspection, I think it is more of a caked on wax/dirt. There is a brown layer that scrapes cleanly off with a fingernail, but it takes a lot of effort to rub it off with mineral spirits and the abrasive side of a sponge.

I'd like to ask the group a few questions I have come up with:

1) There were a few 10" saw blades that came with it. I saw in the manual that the older Mark V's were made for 9" blades. I tried fitting the table over a 10" blade and it looked like it had enough clearance. Does anyone know if there would be anything preventing me from using a 10" blade on this year Mark V?

2) What is the lower idler shaft typically used to mount, and is it any different from the upper power mount?

3) With a bandsaw, is there a whole lot of use for the jigsaw? I know one advantage is that you can use the jigsaw for internal cuts, but I'm not sure how useful that will be for me.

-Ryan
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Introduction

Post by DLB »

Congratulations and welcome to the Forum!

1) I don't know of any changes to the Mark 5 itself that have any bearing on use of a 10 inch blade. The things to watch for are the blade guard, if you have one, and the table insert. But I have a '57 and it uses 10 inch blades without a problem. (Later versions have more power and this, to me, is most noticeable on the table saw.)

2) The lower mount is faster, I believe 1.6 times the speed of the upper auxiliary spindle and quill spindle. It is most often used for the Jointer. There is also a compressor that runs off the lower, and I believe the Jig Saw does though I do not have one.

3) A Jig Saw also does more intricate cuts. How useful the tool is depends on the individual interests of the woodworker. I have a stand-alone and use it, but nowhere near as often as I use a bandsaw.

- David
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Welcome aboard. and congratulations. :)

The greenies have a 3/4 hp motor, and the original lower guard was sized for 9" blades. When the motor was upgraded to 1-1/8 hp in the early 60's the blade size was upped to 10"..
Depending on what lower guard you have, (there have been three that will work) the only limiting factor is if the smaller motor has enough power.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
SotaSon
Bronze Member

Post by SotaSon »

Thanks David, very helpful!
SotaSon
Bronze Member

Post by SotaSon »

Thanks Ron, that makes sense about the blade guard. Mine didn't come with one, hence why I didn't notice any interference with the 10" blade.
MackWilson
Bronze Member

Post by MackWilson »

Congratulations, I am also new here and also interested in finding a shopsmith. Well best of luck mate
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

rpd wrote:Welcome aboard. and congratulations. :)

The greenies have a 3/4 hp motor, and the original lower guard was sized for 9" blades. When the motor was upgraded to 1-1/8 hp in the early 60's the blade size was upped to 10"..
Depending on what lower guard you have, (there have been three that will work) the only limiting factor is if the smaller motor has enough power.

I do not know when, but my 62 Goldie came with a 1 1/8 motor and 9" blade. I believe the 10" came with the Mark VII later. The M5 'second slot' will not accommodate a 10" blade(voice of experience!!!).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Ryan,

Sorry for being so late on commenting here but I wanted to add a couple of things. JPG commented on the saw blade size and extra table slot. It was indeed a 9" blade that came with the early Mark 5's. I cannot tell you exactly when they changed to a 10" blade but by 1964 Magna American was selling both 9" & 10" saw blades. That may have occurred for the Mark VII which had then come out and the Mark 5 still used 9" saw blades especially since the Guard was not large enough for the 10" saw blades. In 1962 they sold only 9" saw blades.

The extra slot was added to the Mark 5 around 1960 after the Mark 2 came out which has it. It was discontinued by Shopsmith Inc. by 1980. If anyone has a pre 1980 Shopsmith Inc. Mark 5 with the extra slot they could tell us if they can use the 10" saw blade. As JPG said the early ones cannot. Yours being a 1955 Mark 5 it should not have the extra blade slot.

The Saw Blade Guard system for the early Mark 5, Greenies and Goldies, were designed to handle up to a 9" saw blade. The Blade Guard was an optional item back then so it is common not to have the guard. There are later guards that handle the 10" saw blades just make sure you get one for the original table system aka Mark V 500. The first 10" Lower Saw Blade Guard made was for the Mark VII.

The lower Idler Shaft is used to power the Jointer only but did run the original air compressor from the 50's & 60's too. The Jig Saw is powered from the Drive Shaft the same as the other SPT's.

If it is the original type still, the Quill assembly on your Mark 5 is a single bearing quill for the Gilmer Drive and is different then the later single or double bearing quill of the Poly V Drive. The splines that go into the Drive Sleeve Assembly are different. The bearing can be replaced just remember installing a new one must be done with care so as not to damage it.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

My first Greenie came with 2 SS 10" blades. I used them but I don't recall mounting them in the blade guard. I didn't use the machine as a table saw often though.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

edma194 wrote:My first Greenie came with 2 SS 10" blades. I used them but I don't recall mounting them in the blade guard. I didn't use the machine as a table saw often though.
IF YOU DID NOT PURCHASE THE 'GREENIE' NEW, THEN WHAT CAME WITH IT IS MOOT.

Sorry about the caps, too lazy to retype.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange