Shopsmith Crosscut Sled

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith Crosscut Sled

Post by dusty »

shoedo wrote:Does anyone on this forum use the sled? If so, how are the holes used during operation and is it a worthwhile addition to the Shopsmith? The photos are screen shots. The Shopsmith website doesn't show the face of the sled so it's difficult for me to know if these are predrilled during the manufacturing process or if the previous owner drilled the holes.
The holes that I see in your poste4d images appear to be pre-drilled. The holes in my Shopsmith Cross Cut Sled are pre-drilled as well BUT the hole pattern is different than those.

Here are two images of my sled for reference. Strict examination will reveal that I have made a slight modification to mine. With the mode, my also functions as a Zero Clearance (Insert).

These images were taken with the headstock too close to the extension table. Properly setup, the sled would have support that is obviously not provided this way. Without that support the sled is likely to tilt when carrying a load (a work piece).

I was setup to do table alignment when I read your post and subsequently took these pictures. I am attempting to establish an alignment procedure that will not be compromised when the trunnion bolts are tightened.

I also do not see the small side table in tour photos,
Attachments
20200521_050816.jpg
20200521_050816.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 14156 times
20200521_050902.jpg
20200521_050902.jpg (1.56 MiB) Viewed 14156 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

bainin wrote:I have a home-made one...made with 1/2 or 3/4 ply I think.

it does cut down on cut depth.

Do you think a 1/4 or even less like this would be enough support?

I understand for extended/unsupported work something solid is required, but for a sled that rests on the table and possibly the extension table as well-I dont feel like thickness is required.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/RevolutionPly- ... 8/50121135

b
I have some of that plywood from Lowes. It is nice ply about 3/16" thick, about half way between 1/8" and 1/4". I would use it in many places you would normally use 1/8" traditionally. It has no where near the rigidity of 1/4" ply. It may work for a small parts sled or a box joint jig for the boards to rest on.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
Erik
Gold Member

Post by Erik »

I recently built a crosscut sled using Nick Ferry's design https://nickferry.com/2015/07/table-saw ... -one-ep58/. The sled is mostly from 3/4" baltic birch plywood and is approximately 27" wide 21" deep (inside). I really like the stability of two runners and heavier plywood; once I got the fence squared up it has stayed aligned and cuts perfectly.

I use it all the time and wonder how I got away without one for so many years.
Cross-cut sled.
Cross-cut sled.
2020 0520 TS Cross-cut Sled.jpeg (94.52 KiB) Viewed 14128 times

1990 Mark V 520 (purchased as a 510 in 1992, upgraded to 520 in 2007)
4" Jointer, 11" Bandsaw, 6" Beltsander
Clear Vue CVMAX Cyclone, Nordfab Ductwork, Dust Right Ports, Dylos DC1100 Pro Monitor

Other items: Incra V120 Miter Gauge, Sharkguard, Jessem Cear-Cut TS Guides, Cross-Cut Sled (Nick Ferry), SS Drum Sander (Keith's Shop), Bandsaw Circle Cutter (Inspire Woodcraft), Bandsaw Template Guide, Wedgie Sled (Jerry Bennett), Moxon Vise (Katz-Moses).
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

More appropriately setup to support the cross cut sled.
20200521_070309.jpg
20200521_070309.jpg (1.89 MiB) Viewed 14120 times
20200521_070344.jpg
20200521_070344.jpg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 14120 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

dusty wrote:Here are two images of my sled for reference. Strict examination will reveal that I have made a slight modification to mine. With the mode, my also functions as a Zero Clearance (Insert).

It appears to me that, like many things Shopsmith, there are multiple versions. I love Dusty's modification to the Sliding Table Auxiliary Table. And I can see that Dusty's Aux Table is somewhat wider than mine, which is 5-3/4. Dusty's improvement closes what on mine is a pretty substantial gap between the two table surfaces, about 1-3/4" IIRC. I suspect that gap is intended to accommodate the Upper Saw Guard.(?)

Close examination also reveals that Dusty's version may also utilize an 'extra' T-Slot mounted to the outside of his extension table. I see a couple of 'extra' holes in the sliding part of the table that mine does not have. Or, I am misinterpreting the photo. Dusty, please explain.

Dusty - One more, so you know I'm paying attention. What is mounted on what appears to be a 5/8 SS saw arbor in your photo? Something specifically for alignment? Is it commercially available? Results?

EDIT: Note - My post is out of sequence, and was based on Dusty's earlier pictures. I see now that his modification does not engage the second T-slot.

- David
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

DLB wrote:
dusty wrote:Here are two images of my sled for reference. Strict examination will reveal that I have made a slight modification to mine. With the mode, my also functions as a Zero Clearance (Insert).

It appears to me that, like many things Shopsmith, there are multiple versions. I love Dusty's modification to the Sliding Table Auxiliary Table. And I can see that Dusty's Aux Table is somewhat wider than mine, which is 5-3/4. Dusty's improvement closes what on mine is a pretty substantial gap between the two table surfaces, about 1-3/4" IIRC. I suspect that gap is intended to accommodate the Upper Saw Guard.(?)

Close examination also reveals that Dusty's version may also utilize an 'extra' T-Slot mounted to the outside of his extension table. I see a couple of 'extra' holes in the sliding part of the table that mine does not have. Or, I am misinterpreting the photo. Dusty, please explain.

Dusty - One more, so you know I'm paying attention. What is mounted on what appears to be a 5/8 SS saw arbor in your photo? Something specifically for alignment? Is it commercially available? Results?

EDIT: Note - My post is out of sequence, and was based on Dusty's earlier pictures. I see now that his modification does not engage the second T-slot.

- David
That is an aluminum alignment plate - I do not remember the manufacturer (but I will). In the meantime, I found something very similar.

https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/fr ... 1-EALw_wcB

I really like it and I hardly ever do table alignments with a blade anymore. The one I have is rigid enough and flat enough that I get near perfect alignment (no saw blade flex to worry about and no "use the same tooth" issues.

Other than this style, you might want to consider a MasterPlate. I believe reible uses a MasterPlate.

I knew I would remember. Just had to close the post.

Mine came from Infinity Cutting Tools. https://www.infinitytools.com/10-sandin ... -5-8-arbor
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

DLB wrote:

- David
I can create that gap that you reefer to my mounting the miter bar on the Auxillary Table differently. Those two sets of four holes in sort of a diamond shape allow me to reposition the Auxillary Table. It can be located 2" in either direction from where I have it now. I can also flip it end for end and get a different set of alignments. Don't know why I would want to but it can be done.

If I had known that you might be looking around - I would have cleaned the shop. It is a hazardous mess right now. I have had far too many unrelated tasks going on all at once.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

DLB wrote:

- David
I have miter tracks mounted on two floating tables mostly for flexibility of setups. In the past I did a lot of unusual wood projects and I felt like I needed these to maintain control and stability of the tables I was using then.

Yes - those are now "extra holes". At one time there was a miter bar mounted there to facilitate two miter tracks when using the sled. I thought that this would take some of the wiggle out of the sled. Soon learned that the wiggle was non-consequential.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

dusty wrote:
shoedo wrote:Does anyone on this forum use the sled? If so, how are the holes used during operation and is it a worthwhile addition to the Shopsmith? The photos are screen shots. The Shopsmith website doesn't show the face of the sled so it's difficult for me to know if these are predrilled during the manufacturing process or if the previous owner drilled the holes.
The holes that I see in your poste4d images appear to be pre-drilled. The holes in my Shopsmith Cross Cut Sled are pre-drilled as well BUT the hole pattern is different than those.

Here are two images of my sled for reference. Strict examination will reveal that I have made a slight modification to mine. With the mode, my also functions as a Zero Clearance (Insert).

These images were taken with the headstock too close to the extension table. Properly setup, the sled would have support that is obviously not provided this way. Without that support the sled is likely to tilt when carrying a load (a work piece).

I was setup to do table alignment when I read your post and subsequently took these pictures. I am attempting to establish an alignment procedure that will not be compromised when the trunnion bolts are tightened.

Hopefully this will answer your questions about the holes and how to adjust for different angles.
https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/manuals/845298.pdf
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
shoedo
Gold Member

Post by shoedo »

I surmised that many Shopsmith users make their own jigs for various projects. I have numerous URLs saved on my computer for the time when I make mine but for now I don't have the know how. I know I keep saying this but I am a novice, it will take some time for me to venture out to the place where I can make my own jigs. For now, I will keep reading, researching and watching videos to learn about my new equipment.