General Beginnings

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rdubbs
Gold Member

Post by rdubbs »

Another source of projects is right here on the Shopsmith site:

http://www.shopsmithhandson.com/archives.htm

This is the Shopsmith Hands-On magazine archive site. These online magazines have projects with plans and building instructions. While all of them expect that you own a Shopsmith, I do beileve that they can be built with other tools as well and they won't self-destruct.

The projects from the simple to the complex. It's well worth your time to check them out.
Rick Dubbs
2004 520 w/bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC 3300, Universal Lathe Tool Rest, Talon chuck, & Lathe Duplicator
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

Hey Rick,

Thanks for the reference to "Hands-On". For some reason, I thought that had been discontinued a long time ago. Very good info there.

Thanks again,
Hal
ksdaddio
Gold Member

Good Ideas

Post by ksdaddio »

"deanthom"'s suggestion that you check out your local library is your best bet. I found a book in ours that was very helpful. It was simply labled "Woodworking with Hand Tools" I used this book extensively when I taught children how to make simple projects for 4H. Probably the most challenging was the use of a hand saw to cut a straight line!

Another tool that is cheap, yet can produce some terrific projects, is the jig or coping saw. You can make your own Christmas tree ornaments, and some very nice wall hangings. Once again, check out your library, because I found some great projects the same way. You will find that you can make some very nice toys that will please your younger siblings and relatives.

Hand tools require more patience and muscle but as your tool collection grows, you will discover that power tools will make your work easier and faster, but they also will make mistakes faster too! :p

Keep you projects simple and you will achieve some very satisfying results.
ericolson
Gold Member

Post by ericolson »

new_kid1 wrote:Thanks for the long and detailed response dean. I do not have a Shop Master or Smith (whichever one they are called.) but I do have pretty much all of the hand tools and some basic power tools (jig saw, sander, power drill, but not much else. Not table saws or band saws.) that I can loan from my dad.
New Kid;

Don't for one second think you can't do something with the tools you have available. Every single one of us on this forum started out right where you are: with just the basics and a desire to learn. Desire to learn is the most important tool you've got in your toolbox! Your first few projects may not come out quite the way you expect them to (none of ours did) and you may get frustrated, but learn from your mistakes and keep plugging away. I started out with a circular saw and a hand drill and made a gate to the front entry of a house I was living in at the time. It was kinda lopsided and opened in a crooked sort of way, but to this day I'm proud of that thing.
I've read all of the posts in this thread and it's all very sound and knowledgeable advice. I would suggest you to try to find a mentor in your area that's willing to show you a thing or three. I think you'd be surprised at how many older fellas in your neighborhood would be happy to help out.
Eric
Rock Creek Designs

Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

Max, this summer we're introducing a new class at the Shopsmith National Woodworking Academy called "Introduction to Woodworking for Young People." It's a three-day class; you make three simple projects -- tool caddy, band saw box, and one of your choice. Younger kids will get to choose among several scroll saw projects. For older kids, like yourself, we're developing a wooden MP3 player (really!); and we're open to other ideas. We have one of these classes scheduled for June and another for August. (Check out http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/class_s ... _SSNWA.htm.)

It will be a lot of fun, but there are some strict requirements to make sure no one gets hurt. If you are under the age of 18, you must attend with a responsible adult (mom, dad, gramps, Dutch uncle). I'll also send you a set rules for shop safety and good manners, and you'll be expected to know them and adhere to them like they were the ten commandments.

I sincerely hope that this class is the first on many programs the Academy will eventually offer for young people. I've been teaching young people like yourself for decades, and you always surprise me with what you can do. Take a look at this photo:

[ATTACH]81[/ATTACH]

That's a replica of the 1902 Wright Glider, the world's first fully controllable flying machine. In 2005, a group of 31 young people, ages 13 and 14, worked with me to build this pioneer aircraft. When they began, most of them had less woodworking experience than you do. But after nine months steady work, we had an airworthy glider. We took this replica to Kitty hawk, North Carolina and we flew it. Actually, the kids that built it flew it. The pilot you see in the picture is a 14-year-old aviatrix from Russia, Ohio. Afterwards, the State of Ohio Legistlature sent an individual commendation to each of the 31 kids who built and flew this aircraft.

As a teacher with some experience, the best advice I can give you is this: Don't start out making things just because they're "simple." Make something you want to make; the more exciting it is to you, the better. Then find someone to help you make it. As you can see by the response to your inquiry at this forum, there are plenty of good folks willing to show you the ropes.

With all good wishes,
Attachments
Russia flight 1 s.jpg
Russia flight 1 s.jpg (101.81 KiB) Viewed 14278 times