Magna Jigsaw Question

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

gloomis
Gold Member

Magna Jigsaw Question

Post by gloomis »

My Mark V came with one of the old magna jigsaws. I have been in the process of restoring it and I have a question about a specific part. In the manual there is some kind of ring between the bearing that goes on the drive shaft and the body of the jigsaw. It's part number 74. The manual just says "Seal-oil". when I took my jigsaw apart I did not see anything that looked like a seal in that spot. Am I missing a part? What exactly is it and can I make/buy something locally so I don't have to order a part for it?
"Like a bull chasing the matador is the man left to his own schemes
Everybody needs someone beside em' shining like a lighthouse from the sea" - Brother, NEEDTOBREATHE
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Magna Jigsaw Question

Post by JPG »

gloomis wrote:My Mark V came with one of the old magna jigsaws. I have been in the process of restoring it and I have a question about a specific part. In the manual there is some kind of ring between the bearing that goes on the drive shaft and the body of the jigsaw. It's part number 74. The manual just says "Seal-oil". when I took my jigsaw apart I did not see anything that looked like a seal in that spot. Am I missing a part? What exactly is it and can I make/buy something locally so I don't have to order a part for it?
jig saw temp.jpg
jig saw temp.jpg (212.82 KiB) Viewed 8924 times
Where is '74' on this view?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
peterm
Platinum Member

Post by peterm »

Probably refers to similar page in the Magna jigsaw manual. #74 is listed as Magna part 502264.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

peterm wrote:Probably refers to similar page in the Magna jigsaw manual. #74 is listed as Magna part 502264.
The partial pix I posted is from a 1954 MAGNA jig saw manual. What I am seeking is to determine IF his 'missing' part is in the 1954 manual exploded view and if so what it was called then.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
peterm
Platinum Member

Post by peterm »

Looking at my Shopsmith jigsaw manual (copyright 1982), has same part number and has ref no 68, described as "oil seal".
peterm
Platinum Member

Post by peterm »

My Magna jigsaw manual is from 1965, sorry, do not have 1954.
gloomis
Gold Member

Post by gloomis »

I'm afraid your image is too low resolution for me to be able to read those numbers. I have circled the number instead
Attachments
I have circled the number in question
I have circled the number in question
Screenshot_20200609-162202~2.png (1.33 MiB) Viewed 8905 times
Everybody needs someone beside em' shining like a lighthouse from the sea" - Brother, NEEDTOBREATHE
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

gloomis wrote:I'm afraid your image is too low resolution for me to be able to read those numbers. I have circled the number instead
Sorry about the resolution tis the best I have.
That part and the one outboard from it are both listed as 'washer', but have differing part numbers.
The drawing seems to show the inner one(the one you circled ) to be slightly larger. If you have two washers then I think you have all that was there to begin with. I AM assuming your jig saw IS specific to the early version(1954).

The part # appear to be A2088 and A2089.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

gloomis
Gold Member

Post by gloomis »

This is the manual I have (I got it in one of r the posts in this forum). My jigsaw matches up with it exactly except I appear to be missing the part labeled #74. The part next to it, 71, is listed as a ball bearing (which I have) do these images help clarify at all?
Attachments
Screenshot_20200609-173734.png
Screenshot_20200609-173734.png (858.93 KiB) Viewed 8888 times
Screenshot_20200609-173938.png
Screenshot_20200609-173938.png (912.29 KiB) Viewed 8888 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Yes, that clearly indicates you do NOT have a 1954 vintage jig saw. So everything I have said is irrelevant.

IIRC the 54 vintage has the bearing in the interior of the casting.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝