REEKON Tools M1 Caliber

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: REEKON Tools M1 Caliber

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Interesting idea , At some point my guess is some one found it use full , 1/32 of a inch on a miter joint on a picture frame or something small = a obvious crack and poor quality IMO . I am sure it was designed for a particular job and would add speed to certain projects. but for a some one working on small hobby crafts it could go either way , duplicating and mass producing rough cut lengths might be ok but I dont see it adding any speed when mass producing accurate miter cuts .JMO I would not be interested for what I do .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Latest info says it will be here on Saturday. Coming from Horsham, PA so that might be optimistic but we will see.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

It made it but I didn't have time to do much more then put batteries in and attach it to the saw:
m1.jpg
m1.jpg (195.64 KiB) Viewed 1950 times
I will have to read the instructions as it has been a while since I watched the videos on it. I think you should calibrate against the tape measure you use so I have to decide which one that will be. One of the better ones would be best.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Got a few outside tasks done this morning and now the rains have started, so I get to play inside.

One idea that I had in mind when I ordered this tool was to be able to use it as part of the drill press setup. I started playing with that idea today. First to M1 needs to mount to the fence of in this case the 500 but I will also do a 520 version. This should be OK to do with some 1/4" nominal hardboard. The M1 has to have the ruffly 1/4" for it to mount correctly. I went with 120mm high since I knew that was the height of my miter saw fence and it works there. Length was about as long as the 500 fence. Then drilled three holes to mount it with, only flat head machine screws I had were 2-1/2" long so next hardware trip I will look for something that will be a better length.
justplaying1.jpg
justplaying1.jpg (201.46 KiB) Viewed 1904 times
The M1 can mount anywhere along this added fence so long as the drill bit/chuck/quill doesn't interfere. So far so good.

The same as any taller fence this does move the location of the bit away from the fence, somewhere in the neighbor of 7/8" do to the chuck spacing it away from the tall fence. I'm thinking I could gain a bit more if I cut the fence down to the height of the actual 500 fence but I'm not sure I need that??
justplaying2.jpg
justplaying2.jpg (131.11 KiB) Viewed 1904 times
I'm on my lunch hour so when I return to the shop I think I will get get going with a test.

Then spend sometime thinking about the results and where I might want to go from here.

So that is what I'm up to today, just thought you might want to start thinking along these lines for your own projects.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Had the time to make the tall fence for the 520 today. No time to try it out but it is not that different then the 500 fence so not really any issues expected. And yes I have a picture so it really happened:
520tall.jpg
520tall.jpg (214.33 KiB) Viewed 1833 times
Ed
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I hope Ed is still enjoying his Reekon M1 Caliber. I just saw that the same company has come out with a "smart" tape measure product now. It is called the Reekon T1 Tomahawk. Nice features are a laser marker for measurements, OLED measurement display and an e-ink display to show up to 5 stored measurements. Still this thing is at least 2-3x too big of a form factor to be useful IMHO. Anyone want to purchase one just to try it out? The company is taking preorders right now...

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/t1-t ... -measure#/

📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor