REEKON Tools M1 Caliber

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: REEKON Tools M1 Caliber

Post by JPG »

RFGuy wrote:
JPG wrote:So ya gonna ASSUME that all '10' ft structural lumber is actually 10 ft?

Bad reference IMO.
Agree, but the conversation was around whether framers might find this product useful or not. You either have to feed the stock under this gadget for the full length of the measurement, or find some alternative method when you just want to cut a short section off of a long board. If 1/32" tolerance isn't needed, this was just one way I could think of for the product to work. Say you have a 10' 2x4 and want to cut 3" off of the end, who wants to push a 2x4 a length of 9' 9" through this thing just to make a cut? My suggestion was that perhaps you can measure less of the board and somehow reference the far end of the board to enable a faster cut of this type. I don't even know if this method would work with this tool. While it looks like a "cool" tool, it doesn't seem like it would be very practical in actual use. I like the idea of this type of measurement device, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to solve any problems... :(
Agreed! Merely an alternative.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

There are a few of this type machine out already but not at this price point.

I've placed my support for one of these. No idea how well it will work for me but right now I have a miter saws all without a system of stops so for me this can be a big advantage. Right now I have to mark then cut then mark so both my time and accuracy are paying the price.

I have looked at several options and at this point I have not found one that fits my needs. This might??

Actually the $108 is cheaper then most of the solutions I have been looking at.

The other plus is that I have several miter saws so I can use this on anyone of them where as a fence system becomes pretty much a fixture with the saw you make it for. As an example I was making out door wood projects with treated wood and as per my normal work habits I was working outside. I have a saw stand and had my 10" miter saw mounted. For what I was doing accuracy was not much of a factor. I normally trim the ends on the 2 x 4's then measure the distance, then draw a squared line to slide under the blade and align the blade to that. Make the cut then repeat. This new system would have made this a piece of cake.

If they meet their goals I will be getting one and will let you know how it works for me.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Ed,

Thanks. Yes, please update us when you get it and let us know your thoughts after some hands-on time with it. I really like the large, easy to read LCD display on it. The couple of videos that I saw already only showed cutting short lengths so it is hard to get a good understanding of how it works in practice from doing just one type of cut. I did search a bit more and found this long video that REEKON put out. In it he cuts many different lengths as well as miters and bevels to show how this works with the tool. The only part that gave me pause was he cut three 16" lengths off of a 2x4 and one of them was at least 1/32" off from the rest (starting around about 6:50 into video). It looked closer to a 1/16" to my eye. My first thought was that if it could be off 1/32" on a 16" cut, then how far off will it be on a much longer cut? Later he showed the setup for doing a 76" cut and did a fast feed vs. slow feed comparison, but he NEVER made the cut and measured it with a tape measure. The fact that he cut a few to 16" and they weren't exactly the same length does tend to make me think this is more suitable for framing work where it is often okay to be off by 1/8" for most work.
I hope that I am wrong, so your feedback on it will be most welcome.

P.S. Some miter saws have a much shorter height fence, so this tool doesn't work for them (not enough height to fit lumber under the roller wheel). However, I saw that Reekon is working on offering some kind of fence extension to make it work for them. Don't know if this will be a one-off for only one or two popular miter saws, or if it will be more universal to fit most miter saws on the market. The more expensive miter saws come with tall fences these days, but most older models do not.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC8FTleirXU[/youtube]
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Not sure what happened with my order, it didn't ask for card information so not sure it got placed or not. Give it a day and then see if I get conformation and place to enter payment.

Sometime other browsers act differently?

Ed
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

reible wrote:Not sure what happened with my order, it didn't ask for card information so not sure it got placed or not. Give it a day and then see if I get conformation and place to enter payment.

Sometime other browsers act differently?

Ed
Ed,

If you login to the Kickstarter website and click on the world icon in the top right corner you should be able to see if it shows as a backed project for you or not. If it is there then you should be all good.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Got it figured out, a little convoluted but hey it works just not the straight path I expected. So July 31 they take my money and if things work out I will have one in December. Not a good time for me to do much evaluation but we will see.

Ed
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I have done a handful of different Kickstarter campaigns so far. I haven't seen one of them "hit" their targeted date yet, so I wouldn't worry too much about it arriving this year. If it is a well run Kickstarter campaign it may be only a few month delay, but I have had some that were a year or more delayed on delivery.
📶RF Guy

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Latest update from them "Late April Delivery". Have to see if they find anything else that delays them but it OK for me as even April weather can be not so nice sometimes, you know April showers.....

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I guess it must be late April, even if the calendar says May 20. Got my shipping notice! Hasn't actually shipped but they printed the label. So only a few more days to wait I guess.

On a side note, the current issue of handyman has a small blurb on page 22-23 in the homeLAB section. I expect other people are getting them now too so should see some early reviews soon by real users.

BTW if anyone comes across any other new tool related kickstart things I'm about ready to invest again. I only invest in one at a time so if they are like this one it will be in the order of one per year.

Ed
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

reible wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:44 pm BTW if anyone comes across any other new tool related kickstart things I'm about ready to invest again. I only invest in one at a time so if they are like this one it will be in the order of one per year.

Ed
Ed,

How about this one? ;)

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24678

Not so much a woodworking tool, but more of a drawing aid...I have been interested in this one for sometime, but just can't justify the price to myself. Great for drawing custom size circles:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/br ... creativity
📶RF Guy