DC3300 Dust Collector

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

shydragon
Gold Member

DC3300 Dust Collector

Post by shydragon »

Question: I'm considering buy a used DC3300 dust collector. How long does the bag generally last?
Pat

Oregon

1992 SS 510, 11" Bandsaw on power station, 4" jointer, Pro Planer, Incra Miter 2000, Incra Ultimate Fence Router Pkg, Grizzly 6" Parallelogram Jointer.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

How much do you use it and what kind of wood do you generally use in the shop?

If you cut a lot of composites (MDF, etc) you'll have to change (dump) the bag much more frequently. You'll also have to sharpen your saw blades more frequently.

If you are a casual user and you work very little with composites, I would estimate that bag service won't be required more often than once a month. I get two to three weeks out of each bag.

When I know that there are no composites in the bag, I dump my bags out in the back yard amongst the cactus and shrubs and away from the water shed.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
shydragon
Gold Member

Post by shydragon »

Currently, the bag would fill up easily in week. It won't always be that, way. But, I think you misunderstood my question. Not how long it takes to fill the bag, but how long do the bags last? Are they tossed after a fillup, or can you use them over and over?
Pat

Oregon

1992 SS 510, 11" Bandsaw on power station, 4" jointer, Pro Planer, Incra Miter 2000, Incra Ultimate Fence Router Pkg, Grizzly 6" Parallelogram Jointer.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

I'd reuse the bag till it got holes in it. Everyone's situation would be different, so it's hard to answer your question. If you do buy it, reverse the bolts in the bottom tray, so that the smooth head is up against the bag. Instead of the threaded end. Mine I covered with plastic tips, to keep it from tearing holes in the bag.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

shydragon wrote:Currently, the bag would fill up easily in week. It won't always be that, way. But, I think you misunderstood my question. Not how long it takes to fill the bag, but how long do the bags last? Are they tossed after a fillup, or can you use them over and over?
I don't think I misunderstood.

If you cut a lot of composites (MDF, etc) you'll have to change (dump) the bag much more frequently.

I dump my bags out in the back yard amongst the cactus and shrubs.....

Yes, you can reuse the bags if you want to. I guess this depends on how frugal you are. But then ......If you fill a bag every week, you make a lot more saw dust than I do. I can see why you might be frugal.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

shydragon wrote:Currently, the bag would fill up easily in week. It won't always be that, way. But, I think you misunderstood my question. Not how long it takes to fill the bag, but how long do the bags last? Are they tossed after a fill up, or can you use them over and over?
To answer in a terse manner - Assuming you are talking about the plastic catch bag - not the filter bag - They will last through many fillings as long as they don't get hole in them.

Being more wordy - Bob - aka, beeg has given you a valuable tip! If you buy the DC you need to protect the bottom of the plastic bags from the bolts and/or nuts that connect the legs to the base. He put plastic covers over them - I squirted some "Great Stuff" over the bolts - Tim installed his bottom leg bolts in reverse. All of these procedures work.

I buy my bags during the sales on DC items. I now have 18 un-used bags on the shelf. To me it really depends on how full the bag gets before a cleaning, an if I think it is easier to throw away the full bag or to empty it into another "store bought garbage bag" and re-use it. A matter of choice!

Sometimes I fill two bags in a week. Most of the time a bag will not fill up for quite a few weeks. When I am starting a project and using the thickness planer - a lot of sawdust is created.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

If you have cats in the shop, you will replace the bags more frequently. :rolleyes:
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
shydragon
Gold Member

Post by shydragon »

Thanks everyone, some great tips.
Pat

Oregon

psargeant
Gold Member

Post by psargeant »

Is there something special about the plastic bags designed for the dust collector except that they are of clear plastic and the contents easily determined ? Has anyone used a regular trash bag?
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

psargeant wrote:Is there something special about the plastic bags designed for the dust collector except that they are of clear plastic and the contents easily determined ? Has anyone used a regular trash bag?
IMHO, you could use any plastic bag that will fit around the hole. The SS bags may/may not be thicker and therefore stronger. The SS bags are definitely clear and easy to see into. If you were to smell smoke, and looked at the bag...:rolleyes:
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.