Shaper Fence

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

eldyfig
Gold Member

Shaper Fence

Post by eldyfig »

I just pulled my shaper fence out of hibernation and needed to mount the wood faces. I couldn't find the original hardware. I ended up using hex bolts through the face, but trying to snug them up without something holding the head is tough. The original counter bored holes in the faces aren't big enough to accommodate a socket on the hex head bolts I am using.

What is the original hardware that is used?
Tony
Folkston, GA
Cool Customz
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Mine are held on with a bolt with a slotted pan head. The nut is a simple square nut. To tigthen or loosen the boards I use a screw driver. That was what they came with.
Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

eldyfig wrote:I just pulled my shaper fence out of hibernation and needed to mount the wood faces. I couldn't find the original hardware.

What is the original hardware that is used?
This is a common problem for me. I very often cannot find hardware that goes with something I haven't used for awhile. Sometimes it's something I just dismantled and it's been just a matter of minutes.:o

But maybe you should consider bolts with allen heads....well, maybe not. If you did that you'd just have to find the allen wrench.:rolleyes:
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

eldyfig wrote:I just pulled my shaper fence out of hibernation and needed to mount the wood faces. I couldn't find the original hardware.

Why not leave the hardware attached, That way all you have to find is the fence?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Like Ed said - there are square nuts on the screws. They catch on the steel of the base and don't have to be held with pliers. Like recommended above, I leave my hardware attached wherever I can.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
hardway
Gold Member

Post by hardway »

I just replaced the square nuts I had lost on my shaper fence. The original equipment that came with my old fence were bolts with an allen head (5/16") and 3/8"-16 square nuts. The square nuts work perfectly under the table without the need for a wrench. There is more than one loose nut in my workshop.
Tom
Masontown, WV
eldyfig
Gold Member

Post by eldyfig »

Sounds good. Maybe I have those slotted pan heads somewhere around here.
Tony
Folkston, GA
Cool Customz
psargeant
Gold Member

Post by psargeant »

To solve the problem of misplaced hardware, I use small ziploc bags and write on the outside what hardware they contain. I then put them in a special drawer so I know where to go looking when I need something. I have been doing this for at least ten years and have never had a problem with the writing wearing off the bag or the plastic deteriorating. This also works well for small parts that might be hard or impossible to identify. It is amazing how time has a way of erasing this kind of information from your memory.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

psargeant wrote:To solve the problem of misplaced hardware, I use small ziploc bags and write on the outside what hardware they contain. I then put them in a special drawer so I know where to go looking when I need something. I have been doing this for at least ten years and have never had a problem with the writing wearing off the bag or the plastic deteriorating. This also works well for small parts that might be hard or impossible to identify. It is amazing how time has a way of erasing this kind of information from your memory.
What a great solution! :)
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
flashbacpt
Gold Member

Shaper Fence

Post by flashbacpt »

Like Psargent, I also have been using the ziplock bags, and writing on them. Prevents the loss of smaller parts, and can also hold instructions if necessary.
At times, I also use blue painters tape, placing the tape on items, and then marking them, indicating what they are, and used for/with!
There are iust too many things/parts in life that the mind cannot keep track of, and just needs a little assistance now and then.