quill spring dismantle

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

glapi
Bronze Member

quill spring dismantle

Post by glapi »

Hi

I'm a new used SS owner(70s machine with a Jigsaw and a Bandsaw).
She really needed a once over, she was neglected for many years, full of sawdust and grime.
The quill spring seems to be disconnected but i have a problem taking the housing apart. I took off the setscrew locking the spring housing but the housing will not move at all.
Can anyone help?
FrankEast
Bronze Member

Quill spring assy

Post by FrankEast »

Dear Glapi, I had the same problem. Called SS Cust Service and after many attempts, found the /hole/ in the inner end of the spring was broken. We replaced the whole assembly. Best quickest safest cheapest. They were mighty helpful. Jeff
`
glapi
Bronze Member

Post by glapi »

Hi Jeff,
My problem, is that i'm unable to take the Spring Housing apart, in order to check the spring, reatach or replace it with a new one.
Thanks, Gil
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

I'm not sure you really want me to show you this, Gil, but here goes nothin':
[ATTACH]76[/ATTACH]
1. Remove the snap ring that holds the quill spring housing in place.
[ATTACH]77[/ATTACH]
2. While pulling the housing off the shaft, work the hooked end of the spring out of the slot. Be prepared for a big, scary "SPROING!" when the spring comes free and it unwinds. Have a friend videotape your reaction so you can send it to America's Funniest Videos.
[ATTACH]78[/ATTACH]
3. Using a needlenose pliers and all the patience you possess, rotate the spring so the slotted end slips off the pin on the quill feed shaft.
4. Order a new assembly from Customer Service. It's a lot quicker than putting it back together.

With all good wishes,
Attachments
Quill_Spring_1s.JPG
Quill_Spring_1s.JPG (30.87 KiB) Viewed 16830 times
Quill_Spring_2s.JPG
Quill_Spring_2s.JPG (30.9 KiB) Viewed 16848 times
Quill_Spring_3s.jpg
Quill_Spring_3s.jpg (43.1 KiB) Viewed 16837 times