Election

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

fixit wrote:Hello Tim,

I may be reading you wrong (please let me know if I am) but you seem to imply that I think the government is acting un-constitutionally. I did not say that nor do I think that. I merely think the government has expanded into too many areas which were never intended by the founders of this great nation. Many people do not have a clue what is contained in the Constitution. It would be enlightening for them to read it.

My point is simply that we need to get back to basics or we are headed for more trouble than we are already in. The government should NOT be the be all and end all for every unfortunate situation and circumstance. I did not serve in the USAF for 24 years to watch us stray from the Constitution. I took an oath to support and defend it from all enemies foreign AND DOMESTIC. And these days I sense there are more domestic enemies than in times past.

I urge everyone to think carefully about the basics, pray about the issues and whatever they do - - DO NOT FORGET TO VOTE your conscience on November 4th.
Just wanted to respond to your question:
Knot really, fixit; I have heard over the years, groups and individuals complain that certain things that our Federal government are doing are unconstitutional, e.g., the Federal Income Tax. When a person "reads" the constitution, he/she may come to those conclusons quite naturally. But, if they research, they will find that there are routes that can be taken by our Federal government, to accomplish, constitutionally, the items that they are currently doing. Who wood think that every single incoming President needs to sign a document that states that we are in a state of emergency? But in doing so, even when we are knot really in such an emergency, allows the President and the congress more leeway then they have when we are knot in a state of emergency. They are wrongly taking advantage of a clause that was intended for REAL emergecies, knot just stated ones.

I agree with you completely; the government is way over the top in their involvement into the lives of citizens. Too much control, too many taxes and knot enough statesmanship. In the old days, a statesman used his own money to run his affairs, public and private. Now, politicians have passed laws to insure their wealth at the expense of taxpayers.

I can knot figure out why some citizens of our great country think that the government should bail them out of every single crisis that comes along. What they are really asking, is for the rest of the taxpayers to bail them out. Each one of us needs to be responsible for our own actions. Don't sign into contracts (e.g., ARM's) that you can knot afford; don't buy stock with money that you can knot afford to lose; don't commit crimes that you can knot afford to pay society for; don't build homes on flood plains; don't build a city on land that is below sea level; do believe that if it sounds too good to be true, it is too good to be true; save before you buy.

I also advocate that each citizen of legal age should vote. I do, I will, and I have knot missed an election since my 18th birthday. Of course, one vote rarely matters, but each of us have a vote and to knot use it means non participation in our system. IMHO, that translates to a non-voter having no say, no leg to stand on and no room to complain. After listening to my (formerly) Canadian father-in-law (who has lived in the USA since 1958), complain to me about the way "our" country is run, I told him exactly that. Within 2 years, he and his wife naturallized and vote at every election. Now I have to listen to his views. :rolleyes:
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
judaspre1982
Platinum Member

Shortage Of Honest Leadership

Post by judaspre1982 »

=====================
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Sat May 20, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

How do all of these bad guys get their seats in these high government positions anyhow?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

Unless you watch the debates it is hard to get a handle on what a candidate's agenda is. The only ads you see are negative and tell half-truths that try to discredit the other candidate. The problem is, the debates are SO boring to watch. Plus, I think they are unfair in that the two ruling parties set up the debate commission that does not allow third party candidates to participate. They sure don't get a fair chance in our "unbiased" media outlets (yes, I'm being sarcastic). To put a muzzle on these candidates is an affront to our Constitution and Bill of Rights, IMO.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Bruce wrote:Unless you watch the debates it is hard to get a handle on what a candidate's agenda is. The only ads you see are negative and tell half-truths that try to discredit the other candidate. The problem is, the debates are SO boring to watch. Plus, I think they are unfair in that the two ruling parties set up the debate commission that does not allow third party candidates to participate. They sure don't get a fair chance in our "unbiased" media outlets (yes, I'm being sarcastic). To put a muzzle on these candidates is an affront to our Constitution and Bill of Rights, IMO.

The third party candidates are NOT being muzzled by the debate commission! The debate is between the candidates of the two parties that presented candidates. We, the people, put the candidates there. The fact that there is no third party candidate favored by the voting public is not the commissions doing; it is ours, the voting public.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

dusty wrote:The third party candidates are NOT being muzzled by the debate commission!
Dusty, I agree with the rest of your statement, but not this part. Here is their mission statement taken directly from their web site:
The Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD) was established in 1987 to ensure that debates, as a permanent part of every general election, provide the best possible information to viewers and listeners. Its primary purpose is to sponsor and produce debates for the United States presidential and vice presidential candidates and to undertake research and educational activities relating to the debates. The organization, which is a nonprofit, nonpartisan, 501(c)(3) corporation, sponsored all the presidential debates in 1988, 1992, 1996, 2000 and 2004.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Since the presidential and vice presidential candidates are NOT members of some other party I still contend that the Commission on Presidential Debates has NOT muzzled the third party candidate.

If anyone has muzzled the third party candidate, it has been we the people who repeatedly chose our president and vice president from one of two major political parties (Republican and Democratic).

WHATEVER YOU BELIEVE - EXPRESS YOURSELF ON ELECTION DAY - GO VOTE
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Get out and VOTE on election Day.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob