Election

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Bruce
Platinum Member

Election

Post by Bruce »

I'm not about to tell anyone how they should vote on November 4th, but I do hope that you all will vote, and that you will spend some time thinking about what is right for this country. Take a look at the different candidate's (there are more than two, you know) tax plans. Do we want to cut taxes for the masses at the expense of businesses like Shopsmith that can't afford to make payroll as it is? Lower taxes won't do anyone any good if you have no income to be taxed, ie. you're unemployed. Personally, I don't believe it is the federal government's job to "steer" the economy. They've proven time and time again that they can only screw it up! Take a look at the Fairtax if you haven't already. I believe it could be a huge part of the answer to our problems. Doesn't the demise of the IRS seem like a good thing? :)

Bruce
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I wholeheartedly agree with your recommendation for everyone to vote. I just mailed my ballot in yesterday. It took me nearly three hours to fill out the ballot - I had a hard time determining just exactly what I thought everyone stood for.

But after reading your post, Bruce, and doing a bit more online research within this site - I have a question. Where did you read that Shopsmith is having trouble making payroll? I sure don't read that anywhere.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jmoore65
Gold Member

Post by jmoore65 »

I think he was referring to other small business similar to ShopSmith - not ShopSmith specifically.

However, I could be wrong.

As for the elections and it's impact on the future of our country - I would like to see all those in power remember grandma's rule: "always eat your carrots before your dessert".

Jim
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

About the National Election - I'll be happy to add my thoughts:

1) Think about the issues, real hard and in depth!
2) make your choices and VOTE!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

dusty wrote:I wholeheartedly agree with your recommendation for everyone to vote. I just mailed my ballot in yesterday. It took me nearly three hours to fill out the ballot - I had a hard time determining just exactly what I thought everyone stood for.

But after reading your post, Bruce, and doing a bit more online research within this site - I have a question. Where did you read that Shopsmith is having trouble making payroll? I sure don't read that anywhere.
I didn't mean to imply that Shopsmith wasn't able to make payroll, although I can see how you might have come to that conclusion. The point I was making was that if we tax businesses more so that someone who pays no taxes will get a gift from the feds, then how are those businesses supposed to expand their business and hire new employees. It's a vicious circle. With the Fairtax, there is no income tax, and no way that any one group is treated unfairly to benefit another.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I am so thankful that I misread what you wrote.

As for the Fairtax approach, I feel ignorant about what the Government is actually trying to do. One can read and read and read and never be certain he knows what is being legislated.

Example: $700 billion bailout and propositions on the ballot.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

I know what you mean. With all of the lobbyists pulling on the purse strings of the government is it any wonder that Congress seems so incompetent?
fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

I agree with Bruce. There is way too much government involvement in the economy and many other areas of our lives. We need less government - not more. People need to read the Constitution of the United States and vote to force the government to go back to basics and provide ONLY the things it contains and get out of things that aren't.

What never fails to amaze me is how people can vote for candidates over and over again who promise to "take care" of their problems but don't. It seems to me they would wise up and vote for someone else rather than sending the same people back to Washington time after time.
----------------------------------------
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
Wood Goods - Custom Woodwork
EMAIL: woodgoods "at" lavernia "dot" net
PowerPro 520, PowerPro 500 (was my father's 500), SS jointer, SS Mark V mount planer, SS bandsaws (2), belt sander, scroll saw, SS jig saws (2), strip sander, Jointech system, 12" Delta Compound Miter Saw, a small collection of routers, a router table and a Delta Unisaw. All in a 24' x 24' shop.
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

Post by RobertTaylor »

i'm surprised that the media has not told the truth lol. ok i'm not really surprised.
however the president does not run the country. as seen several weeks ago when bush first wanted his bailout plan. it failed in congress the first time 'round. folks there are 545 people that run this country, two of which are running for president. they have both been part of our troubles. i see no reason that either will change. just my two cents.
Bob
1954 greenie, 1963 anniversary edition now a mini,
1984 500, 1985 510, 1987 510, pro-planer, bandsaw, dust collector
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

fixit wrote: What never fails to amaze me is how people can vote for candidates over and over again who promise to "take care" of their problems but don't. It seems to me they would wise up and vote for someone else rather than sending the same people back to Washington time after time.

We'll see in a couple weeks who is going to sit in the White House and on Capital Hill for the next four years but I doubt that there will be any real big changes other than that.

Obama promises Change. Obama, if elected, is going to learn real quick that the President can't make change happen - he needs Congress and permission from the Lobbiests.

Money controls almost everything and that is not going to change as a result of the election!
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty