Best Place to Sell a Pre-Owned?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Chad
Platinum Member

Re: Best Place to Sell a Pre-Owned?

Post by Chad »

Aplusgutters wrote:Appreciate the info. I have 46 pics of all of the parts and pieces. I have put the whole package on Craigslist for $975.00. I don't know what I have however. The pics are on google photos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DxXuCZvgofFZPZTv7
The machine is a Mark V
Model 555510
Serial No. 021491
Any feedback on pricing and what I have would be much appreciated!
Well, you have a mark V model 510. Serial is 02-14-91 (year 1991), (02-14: valentines day machine :D ). It looks to be in really good shape, and well cared for. If you pictured everything you have? Unfortunately your 510 is missing some major components: the fence for the main table (table saw fence), the extension table, the tubes (4 of them) to connect the floating tables, and the telescoping legs (2 of them) for the floating tables.

On the plus side, you do have a band saw with the later aluminum table (missing the fence for that as well), and the later jointer with the combination guard/feather board. All the other major accessories seem to be there; including the upper and lower table saw guards, saw blade arbor, miter gauge, lathe tool rest and tail stock and 3" face plate, 12" sanding disk, and 4 of the 5-piece safety kit (missing the push stick).

I'd say the whole package is worth the "middle of the road price" of $600-$800; in my area (Ohio). Chad
Chad Nevels
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1963 Shopsmith Mark V "Goldie" 1-1/8 hp Serial # 379185
    1980 Shopsmith Mark V 500
    1994 Shopsmith Mark V 510
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1994 OKUMA LB15 II OSP7000
    2017 OKUMA LB3000 EXII SPACE TURN MY OSP P300LA
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

There are some differences between the pics you have here and your CL ad. I generally agree with Chad's assessment, but you do have the table saw fence in your CL ad. And it appears that you have the optional bandsaw fence, but I think it is missing some parts. You have two connector tubes for the floating tables, should have four. An educated buyer is going to expect some price reduction for the missing extension table, telescoping legs, etc. Local prices in your area are all over the map, 510s ranging from $2880 to $575 on CL. Your price would be a bit high for a 510 in my area (North Texas) due to the missing parts, but I think you are in line with the competition in your area. If buyer's ask, emphasize that replacement parts are readily available on eBay and most parts as well as upgrades are available from Shopsmith.

If you demo the machine, it is very important that you and any prospective buyer only change speeds with it running. If the headstock is in good shape it will not be excessively loud and the speed will vary smoothly and easily from slow to fast and back. It will get a good bit louder at speeds above Saw/Joint.

- David
Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

DLB wrote:There are some differences between the pics you have here and your CL ad. I generally agree with Chad's assessment, but you do have the table saw fence in your CL ad. And it appears that you have the optional bandsaw fence, but I think it is missing some parts. You have two connector tubes for the floating tables, should have four. An educated buyer is going to expect some price reduction for the missing extension table, telescoping legs, etc. Local prices in your area are all over the map, 510s ranging from $2880 to $575 on CL. Your price would be a bit high for a 510 in my area (North Texas) due to the missing parts, but I think you are in line with the competition in your area. If buyer's ask, emphasize that replacement parts are readily available on eBay and most parts as well as upgrades are available from Shopsmith.

If you demo the machine, it is very important that you and any prospective buyer only change speeds with it running. If the headstock is in good shape it will not be excessively loud and the speed will vary smoothly and easily from slow to fast and back. It will get a good bit louder at speeds above Saw/Joint.

- David
Yeah, I didn't get to looking at the craigslist ad yet. If you can get asking price or close to despite the missing parts, and the headstock (power plant) runs as David described; then I'd say you and the buyer can both walk away happy and satisfied, with no party involved feeling they got "taken" by the other. Chad
Chad Nevels
JayArras
Bronze Member

Post by JayArras »

Chad wrote:I still don't understand the 10E's/ER's.
What don't you understand, Chad?
Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

JayArras wrote:
Chad wrote:I still don't understand the 10E's/ER's.
What don't you understand, Chad?
Ohhh, I'll save response to that for another time and place.
Chad Nevels
Snowbeard
Bronze Member

Post by Snowbeard »

Hello, new to the forum.

I live in the Dallas, Fort Worth metroplex and am looking to sell my Mark V with all the extras. SN 59330 on the nameplate. I also have the bandsaw with cover, scroll saw, Jointer with cover, 6” belt sander, 12” disk sander, biscuit joiner, dado and misc table saw blades, miter gauge with grip, 5 piece lather chisel set, two bearing quill, plus.... Could use help with pricing. Will post pic when I figure out how to do it.

Thanks
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Be advised that the sponsor of this forum does not support selling. You have requested help determining value. That is ok, but any one interested in purchasing any of this should respond by Private Message.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Snowbeard
Bronze Member

Post by Snowbeard »

Here are two pics that show the main pieces
Attachments
3DAB4855-D268-43AA-AD88-11D25D101230.jpeg
3DAB4855-D268-43AA-AD88-11D25D101230.jpeg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 1960 times
51A03B6A-8EF5-4AD9-973C-88AA7B803F3D.jpeg
51A03B6A-8EF5-4AD9-973C-88AA7B803F3D.jpeg (694.68 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
Snowbeard
Bronze Member

Post by Snowbeard »

OK, I tried to post 2 pictures and I got a notice that my message contains too few characters. I have heard of maximum character limits but not minimums. Well, I hope this little ramble now gives me enough... :rolleyes:
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Snowbeard,

As JPG has said this is not the place for selling but as for what the value is that is always hard to define. Location, condition, what is included plus more variables determine what it is worth. One consideration is are you looking to sell all at once or will you sell individual SPT's (Bandsaw, Jointer etc.) separately from the Mark V. Another is how quickly do you want or need to sell. My best advice is to look at what they are selling for around your area. Compare similar tools for price but check how long similar ones have been for sale. A long time for sale generally means too high of an asking price and an unwillingness to lower the price. There could be other reasons too. Selling a complete package means a higher price all at once.

The serial number you gave is for a Mark V made in May of 1980. The picture shows a Mark V that has then been upgraded to a Mark V 510 sometime after it's introduction in 1985. The upgrade has some value over a Mark V still having the original table system.

In your post you said
looking to sell my Mark V with all the extras
"all the extras" means different things to different people reading it. To you it could mean "all the extras" that you have. To me it may say you have all the extra accessories that are/were available in which case it does not. Ambiguous statements are something to avoid in ads.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.