Model 10E... worth it?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Coltensims
Bronze Member

Model 10E... worth it?

Post by Coltensims »

Good evening,

I’ve appreciated looking into this thread. Thank you for the info on the Shopsmiths! I wanted to ask what everyone’s thoughts were about purchasing a 10e...

I found a guy whose selling a 10e (at least, that’s what I think it is). It seems to be in really great shape! He seems to have taken good care of it through the years. I very interested in it! I never known of these machines before now, and I’m loving the idea of it!

But because it’s one of the earlier models, and it doesn’t seem to be supported by the company Shopsmith (since it was actually sold by another company at the time... which is now out of business)... I’m wondering if everyone thinks that particular model is worth getting or not??

What I’m concerned about are a couple things...
▪️What would I do if I needed to get a replacement part?
▪️Would replacements or repairs be very expensive?
▪️Are there ways to upgrade that model? Such as table saw safety or extensions?

I’m new to woodworking and would really appreciate any input everyone has! Thank you!

Colten
rjent
Platinum Member

Re: Model 10E... worth it?

Post by rjent »

IMO, the 10E(x) machines are some of the best ShopSmith unit available. The newer ones are more powerful, have bigger tables (Later Mark V's and 7's) and will handle the SPT's (Special Purpose Tools like Belt sanders, Scroll saws, planers, jointers, etc), but the 10Ex's will do very precision work and are great machines for augmenting the later ShopSmiths in the shop. Many SS users only have 10Ex's and some have both (like me).

If you have room for more than one machine, I highly recommend keeping one in the stable .... :)

JMHO
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Below are links to 2 Forum threads you may want to read if you haven't already.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/comm ... 24096.html

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/comm ... 23647.html

The first was started by a forum member who was kind of "poking the bear" and may answer your questions about getting a Shopsmith Model 10E or 10ER. The second thread is one I started that puts together a lot of the information I have learned about the Shopsmith Model 10E and 10ER.

As far as replacing parts they are available at online auctions from sellers that buy whole machines and part them out. The good news is since these tools were built to last most parts do not need replacing unless they are missing. Expect the need to replace the bearings, power cords and belts. After around 70 years these parts wear out but are readily available.

You asked,
Are there ways to upgrade that model? Such as table saw safety or extensions?
The answer is yes. When the Mark 5 came out in 1954 to replace the Model 10ER Magna made adapters for the Model 10's to be able to use the SPT's like the Jointer and Jigsaw Saw made to use on the Mark 5. Upgrading safety on the Model 10's is also possible by adding the Upper and Lower Saw Blade Guard made for the Mark 5 in the 1970's. I use them on my Model 10's and like having the dust collection they provide too.

I could go on and on but instead I encourage you to read the two threads I have linked above. Do feel free to ask any additional questions.

EDIT: I just noticed you have already read my Thread I recommend in the second link above.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Another comment you made above,
I found a guy whose selling a 10e (at least, that’s what I think it is).
It is easy to tell what Shopsmith it is by simply looking at the Logo/Serial Number plate that is mounted on the front of every Model 10. It will say Model 10E, Model ER or Model 10ER. ER and 10ER are both Model 10ER's. Below is a picture of one of my Model 10E's. Note the red and silver Logo/Serial Number plate on it.
1077 restored 11-14-18.jpg
1077 restored 11-14-18.jpg (234.12 KiB) Viewed 8439 times
The picture above shows all the parts that originally came with the Model 10E except the arbor. Benches were also extra and to be supplied by the purchaser.

A word of warning, collecting shopsmith can be addicting.
4708-8865-55582-R57376-R64000 full.jpg
4708-8865-55582-R57376-R64000 full.jpg (177.55 KiB) Viewed 8439 times
These are all Model 10's I have restored and having 5 done at one time made for a great picture. The front four have since been sold.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Coltensims
Bronze Member

Post by Coltensims »

Thank you for your insight! I’m not sure if he has sold this machine or not yet, but I have his number and have been preparing mentally if that’s the direction I want to go or not.

So thank you again for your response. I’m going to include the only two pictures I have of it. Do you have any thoughts of this model? I’m not seeing where it says that it’s a 10e for sure. Maybe I just don’t have the right picture that shows that.

One of the issues will be transporting it... that thing is heavy!

But one question I had was whether or not this model would work with a dado blade? What would be needed to use that, if it’s possible?

Thanx again!
Attachments
Couldn’t get the whole picture to fit in this forum
Couldn’t get the whole picture to fit in this forum
735986FD-B691-4020-BDAF-E4729DE31B94.jpeg (846.52 KiB) Viewed 8352 times
So, doesn’t seem to have the model number on it
So, doesn’t seem to have the model number on it
6D8F6A87-A37F-46FA-93C1-116674664BBA.jpeg (440.76 KiB) Viewed 8352 times
cham-ed
Gold Member

Post by cham-ed »

It is a ER with that metal aux table. and I've used a dado on mine. You will need to make a throat plate to pass the dado blades through. and you've got a 3/4 Hp instead of the 1/2 HP used on most so that is a plus. and you need the long arbor for the dado stack.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The one you have pictured above is a Model 10ER. If you look at the bottom of the Logo/Serial Number Plate you will see Model 10ER as shown on the one below in the black oval. This is not the S/N from the one you are looking at but was one I restored.
10ER 69236 RLC.jpg
10ER 69236 RLC.jpg (216.27 KiB) Viewed 8264 times
As for using a Dado Blade, the arbor with it, part number 12 031, works for that. For a Dado Blade you use the two machined washers instead of the spacer and one machined washer as it is currently set up for using the saw blade. Hopefully the second machined washer is with it. That arbor is the predecessor to the current Molder/Dado Arbor part number 505506 which you could use instead of the original. The current Molder/Dado Arbor P/N 505506 has only a 1/8" longer threaded shaft than the original 5/8" Arbor P/N 12 031 that is on the Model 10ER. There is a dado table insert that was made for the Model 10's. In fact there were two versions. One for the 6" stack Dado Blades and another for the 8" wobble Dado Blade. Again the 3/4 HP Motor will be a plus for using a Dado Blade.
Russ

Mark V 520
reinke
Bronze Member

Post by reinke »

So how much does one of these cost?