POSSIBLEL HACK

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

db5
Platinum Member

POSSIBLEL HACK

Post by db5 »

I just got a suspicious email from JPG; he is on a short trip, nephews BD today, wants help getting a $300 Play Station Gift card. The immediate reply I got to my response was suspicious. It may be legitimate but I asked for "proof of life" - only something he would know. No reply yet. Beware if you get emails from anyone on this site asking for gift cards.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: POSSIBLEL HACK

Post by jsburger »

I guess, why would you even reply? JPG would never ask for a gift card. Anyone who asks a gift unsolicited is a scam.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A scam fer sure!!!!

At this point I am aware of two recipients.

AIUI the email was identified as coming from me.

A response was requested to be sent to [James22.......@gmail.com]. That in itself makes it suspicious.

I do not know HOW I got identified as the originator of the e-mail.

Anyone who has gotten this scam e-mail please forward it to me so I might better understand this..
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:A scam fer sure!!!!

At this point I am aware of two recipients.

AIUI the email was identified as coming from me.

A response was requested to be sent to [James22.......@gmail.com]. That in itself makes it suspicious.

I do not know HOW I got identified as the originator of the e-mail.

Anyone who has gotten this scam e-mail please forward it to me so I might better understand this..
Of course. Check who you are responding to before you send something. This is not really rocket science. Check the links and be vigilant about where the email comes from and the request. Gift cards are always a scam.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
davebodner
Gold Member

Post by davebodner »

This is a pretty standard scam. I have no idea how it works, but I've gotten similar bogus emails pretending to be from other people I know. If you haven't gotten a bogus email yet, you will.

John's right, ignore them.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Some 'observations' regarding this 'event'.

Hopefully they will help a future victim.

The hacking apparently was done to Yahoo's stuff not my computer.

The perp first redirected all incoming e-mail to archive which prevented me from receiving ANY e-mails. A good thing since I was able to retrieve them. A bad thing since I became oblivious to what was happening.

This was more global than just this forum. My entire contact list was affected.

I need to publicly thank DB5 for his efforts to notify me by phone.

I have changed the password and this appears to be over(for now anyway).

I am sorry for anyone who might have taken this seriously, but I assure y'all this is not something I would do nor anticipate doing in the future.

I have asked in the past for how to access contact list - Now I know first hand!

Thank you to all who tried to help!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

JPG wrote:Some 'observations' regarding this 'event'.

Hopefully they will help a future victim.

The hacking apparently was done to Yahoo's stuff not my computer.

The perp first redirected all incoming e-mail to archive which prevented me from receiving ANY e-mails. A good thing since I was able to retrieve them. A bad thing since I became oblivious to what was happening.

This was more global than just this forum. My entire contact list was affected.

I need to publicly thank DB5 for his efforts to notify me by phone.

I have changed the password and this appears to be over(for now anyway).

I am sorry for anyone who might have taken this seriously, but I assure y'all this is not something I would do nor anticipate doing in the future.

I have asked in the past for how to access contact list - Now I know first hand!

Thank you to all who tried to help!!!

Soooo, what to do with all these gift cards... :confused: :confused: :confused: :)
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
admin
Gold Member

Post by admin »

Hi - Was this a message you received thru the forum or via email outside the forum? If it's something I need to be aware of, can you direct message it to admin?

JPG, If you suspect anyone has compromised your account, you can change your password for the forum.

Thanks
Dan M
-Shopsmith IT
Shopsmith I.T.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

WTH is a recently (today) joined 'member 'posting a comment on a 19 month old post and mentioning the word scam?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

My thought exactly. Watch the thread for an added link later.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT