New Jet "Cyclone Seperator"

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

New Jet "Cyclone Seperator"

Post by jsburger »

Interesting item. I wonder if it really works as well as the video portrays.

https://www.jettools.com/us/en/new-prod ... V05lIn0%3D
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
cham-ed
Gold Member

Re: New Jet "Cyclone Seperator"

Post by cham-ed »

Now you tell me about it. Two days ago I ordered an Oneida cyclone.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Looks interesting, but I wonder how well it works for dust separation. It is called a "Cyclonic Chip Separator" and most of the description below emphasizes chip separation over dust catching. It would be interesting to see how efficient it is compared to a vertical cyclone.

Woodcraft Description:

"The JET® Cyclonic Chip Separator maximizes dust collection efficiency by maintaining the air flow of a dust collection system by deflecting chips and large debris inline freeing up dust collection filters to trap fine particles. The red bullet separator deflects chips downward into a bin, reducing damage and obstruction to the dust collection hoses, impellors and filters. With the included bolt pattern, you can customize the JET Cyclonic Chip Separator on the lid of almost any size container."
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/cycl ... xYQAvD_BwE
JET_horiz_cyclone.jpg
JET_horiz_cyclone.jpg (41.99 KiB) Viewed 2170 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Albertt62
Gold Member

Post by Albertt62 »

I can’t remember where I saw the review, but I don’t think it preformed as advertised.
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

The main advantage I see is that it has a much lower profile than the Oneida Super Dust Deputy. But if that isn't important, then the SDD is cheaper and has a proven record.
Last edited by john_001 on Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Reviews haven't been kind to this device. Santa left a Dust Deputy 2 under the tree for me. I have some work to do to get my dust collection system set up with rigid piping instead of long corrugated hoses but based on available reviews so far I expect pretty good performance.

I've used a trash can separator since I got my old Reliant dust collector back in the Stone Age and I'd be surprised if the Jet horizontal cyclone separator is much more effective than that. I'm going to keep that trash can separator in front of the Dust Deputy because it catches 99%+ of any large and heavy items sucked up, and maybe 1/3 of all the fine sawdust also. I will get it sealed up tightly with rigid piping instead of hoses and clamps holding that lid down on the trash can with a foam gasket in the lip. I would recommend using a separator of that kind before any other dust separation devices or your fan because you don't want chunks of wood, nails, bolts, or small animals scratching up your more expensive equipment.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER