Shopsmith as a wet grinder?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

sailseahawk
Gold Member

Shopsmith as a wet grinder?

Post by sailseahawk »

Has anyone tried using a Shopsmith as a wet grinder for sharpening, like the TORMEK system, and other clones? I have a speed reducer and several mandrels, so would need the stone, and make some jigs/fences. I really don't want another tool that takes up bench/shelf space, or to spend several hundred dollars. I've searched the forum, but perhaps I missed a post. Before someone says it, yes, I know the speed has to be reduced to 90-120 rpm: I do have and use a speed reducer...Thanks!
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith as a wet grinder?

Post by RFGuy »

I haven't seen one, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. The main benefit of the Tormek, as I understand it, are all of the various jigs/fixtures they have for sharpening different tools (chisels, hand planes, knives, scissors, etc., etc). Do you intend to buy Tormek, or Tormek clone, jigs to attach to your Shopsmith equipment? You can get diamond stones and mount them to it, but you would need to build some type of trough to hold the water. Also, to use Tormek style jigs you would need to build perfectly square posts near the sharpening stone to attach the jigs to. Not saying this can't be done, but it may be more trouble than it is worth. There are quite a few Tormek knockoffs that are quite reasonable in price. I hear good things about the WEN version. Personally, I wouldn't want to have water that close to my Mark V, but that is just me.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

RFGuy wrote:Personally, I wouldn't want to have water that close to my Mark V, but that is just me.
Yeah, wet tools make a mess. Water gets flung everywhere. Even tiny droplets are a problem, those water droplets contain little bits of metal in them too. You don't want that stuff getting on your way tubes, the spindle, the table or carriage.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

speed = heat , I would be concerned about the speed of the wheel ? My water wheel sharpener spins very slow , so slow the water barely makes a small ripple on the chisel , there isn't much splashing , there is just water enough to cool the steel .
You might get by using a speed changer though, some one else may have a speed changer that would know if they can turn slow enough , like others not sure I would want the mess around the MKV or anything around the project not to mention spending the time setting one up . a small portable can just as effective as any big $$$ system .good luck . my .02
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
jacksonliam341
Bronze Member

Post by jacksonliam341 »

My wife and I found a garage sale today at the home of a former woodworker whohad passed on and his wife was selling some of his tools. He had a full Shopsmith V, with dust collection, and a bandsaw for $1200. It was in perfect condition, but not exactly in my “garage sale” price range though.

What I did find, and the reason why I’m posting this message, is a Shopsmith wet/dry grinder as seen here:

Now I scanned the internet while in the driveway at the garage sale trying to price this machine to see if I was getting the kind of deal that I thought I was getting (a great one) but could not find a price or review. So… I bought it for $50 and was happy to pay.
so tell me what do you think?
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

I guess thats a stand alone wet/dry grinder from SS ? ...I mean its not an SPT attachment to the Shopsmith?

I have been considering attempting some wet sanding/polishing of my stainless steel pot set which after 15 years have a hardened black crust on the bottoms.

Mostly I have been considering it, because I tried the hand scrub/polish method with some barkeepers friend (name?) and I got tired and bored rather quickly without much progress !

b
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Apparently Shopsmith sold a number of grinding systems including a wet/dry model like that pictured above:
http://www.tool-hunter.com/shopsmith-po ... ory-review
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

bainin wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:47 am I have been considering attempting some wet sanding/polishing of my stainless steel pot set which after 15 years have a hardened black crust on the bottoms.

Mostly I have been considering it, because I tried the hand scrub/polish method with some barkeepers friend (name?) and I got tired and bored rather quickly without much progress !
Try letting it sit in some bacon grease for a few days. Amazing solvent power to that stuff, plus you get to eat some bacon.

The other thing is heat, although you have to worry about wrecking the pot. That black cake is mainly carbon and at around 842F it will burn off.
Ed from Rhode Island

bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Thanks Ed -

I did make progress on 1 of the pots using boiling white vinegar plus water- submerging the pot in it for 20 min or so..then taking to the hand scrubbing.
I'm trying to avoid the scrubbing :)