problematic quill....revisited.

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

naccrr28
Silver Member

problematic quill....revisited.

Post by naccrr28 »

Hello All, I have cleared a sticky quill by using all the recommended techniques and wow it snaps!:) However I did learn to hang on to the quill handle the hard way. Yup....WHACK!!:rolleyes: Yuck, yuck. Now....in the vertical drill press position, It sticks and is sluggish!! I am new to the world of Shopsmith (two months) and have been over hauling a used 510. Yes I love the DVDs on maintainence! Any suggestions? I am getting ready to take it apart again but have done these things so far. Filed down a few burrs on the quill and in the housing. Waxed and buffed the quill. My guess is that the screw may bind in the vertical position but not in the horizontal. Thank you for your help everyone. So far, I love it....especially the planer and jointer.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

naccrr28 wrote:Hello All, I have cleared a sticky quill by using all the recommended techniques and wow it snaps!:) However I did learn to hang on to the quill handle the hard way. Yup....WHACK!!:rolleyes: Yuck, yuck. Now....in the vertical drill press position, It sticks and is sluggish!! I am new to the world of Shopsmith (two months) and have been over hauling a used 510. Yes I love the DVDs on maintainence! Any suggestions? I am getting ready to take it apart again but have done these things so far. Filed down a few burrs on the quill and in the housing. Waxed and buffed the quill. My guess is that the screw may bind in the vertical position but not in the horizontal. Thank you for your help everyone. So far, I love it....especially the planer and jointer.

I assume you are talking about the screw in the top of the headstock.

I'd double check that before I did anything else.

How badly does the quill bind? Can you feel any drag when you manually retract the quill? Does the quill seem to operate properly in the horizontal position?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

Post by RobertTaylor »

i agree with dusty. the setscrew should not put drag on the quill, just keep it from coming out until you actually want it to. with a waxed and no burrs quill it could only be the setscrew is too tight or you need another half turn of spring tension.
Bob
1954 greenie, 1963 anniversary edition now a mini,
1984 500, 1985 510, 1987 510, pro-planer, bandsaw, dust collector
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Hi
I had a sticky quill that would begin to hang up after I had drilled about twenty or so holes. I found that a small sliver of metal shaving was getting caught between the half of the spring housing that rotates with the quill and the part that stays fixed in the headstock. A thorough cleaning of the spring housing with compressed air (wear eye goggles) and some cleaning solvent did the trick. In my case I believe the problem was caused when I rewound the spring when I replaced the quill sleeve. Someone may have done something similar to your machine before you got it. Anyway that is my two cents worth.
ALso any burr on the quill housing will also cause problems.
ANother thing that can cause a binding quill is buildup from old wax. Inspect the inside of the quill bore in the headstock for any black streaks as this may be old wax. If you find this condition then clean the bore with some solvent an possibly some 3M pads. DO NOT USE ANYTHING THAT CAN REMOVE METAL!! You only want to remove the old wax.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Bill V
naccrr28
Silver Member

Post by naccrr28 »

Thank you everyone! Yes, it only occurs in the vertical position. Horizontal is smooth as silk with plenty of snap on the spring. Will back off the screw and try it again tonight! P.S. I have polished (dry) the inside of housing and the quill then waxed......no build up and no burrs found. I also learned how to lock the head in position before raising the way bars. Whoa Son! Tee hee.:p
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

naccrr28 wrote:I also learned how to lock the head in position before raising the way bars. Whoa Son! Tee hee.:p

BET you learned that one pretty quick?:D

Did you wax inside the housing while the quill was off?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
naccrr28
Silver Member

To Bob......

Post by naccrr28 »

Yessiree Bob! I learned that as quickly as I learned not to let go of the quill handle/advancer...Yee-OUCH!! And yes wax-ed both inside and out. Thanks...got a band aid?:)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

naccrr28 wrote:Yessiree Bob! I learned that as quickly as I learned not to let go of the quill handle/advancer...Yee-OUCH!! And yes wax-ed both inside and out. Thanks...got a band aid?:)
You are now FULLY qualified to sit on this forum with the rest of us. We have all graduated from that school of hard knocks - one way or another.:)
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Now we can teach you the 5 point check.
recheck the
1)headstock lock
2)carriage lock
3)table lock
4)quill lock
5)height adjustment lock.
Oh and keep yourself away from SHARP SPINNING thingies.:eek:
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

beeg wrote:Now we can teach you the 5 point check.
recheck the
1)headstock lock
2)carriage lock
3)table lock
4)quill lock
5)height adjustment lock.
Oh and keep yourself away from SHARP SPINNING thingies.:eek:

You have to exclude me from that "we" unless I get to be an overload student in this class. After all of these years, I still occasionally find the quill unlocked when it should not be.

Going to drill press mode with either the carriage or headstock not locked should be a very effective lesson.

I am sure that this unlearned lesson accounts for some (if not many) of my miscuts.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty