Weekly Blog - October 27th

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

perryobear
Gold Member

Post by perryobear »

Hi everyone,

I too seem to be falling behind this week (not a new experience for me, I'm afraid). Spent some time doing some much needed cleaning up in the shop. Also received my newly rebuilt speed control dial from Don out in CA. He does a nice job on the gear replacement. So I went to work on my $9.99 Greenie replacing a bent speed control shaft and installing the new knob. The speed control is now working nicely!

John,

Nice cutting boards (both sizes). As for learning patience, please let me know when you figure that one out (I can't wait) !:rolleyes:

Chuck,

I can't wait to see how your next new project (phone bench) comes along. Your tool box project had got me thinking about trying something along those lines. I spotted this gem on a visit to Haile Farm & Village in Ohio a couple of weeks back. It was sitting in the blacksmith's shop. Its a lot smaller than your project, but I think it will be more than enough challenge for me. I will be starting from square one - the plans.

Antiquesmith,

Welcome to the Forum!

I don't know if any of the forum's members live near to you but, I'm sure you will find lots of help getting questions answered on the forum. There is a maintenance forum section for equipment issues and two woodworking forum sections when you finally get a chance to make some sawdust. If you haven't checked out the Sawdust Session videos it might be a good place to start:
http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/Sawdust_Sessions.htm

Have fun everyone,

Dennis
Attachments
100_1885WEB.jpg
100_1885WEB.jpg (40.84 KiB) Viewed 6129 times
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

Thinking about your wine rack. Hate to have a group of good holes go to waste. How about a trim piece along the bottom allowing you to raise or lower the apposing sides as needed. Otherwise you can always make a great bean-bag childs toss game. (my kids are always saying I'm full go ideas...don't know if that's a complement or not).
Today I started on the rocking horses for the twins (to arrive in January). After looking at various pieces of scrap, I ended up purchasing a piece of 2" thick walnut. It has a beautiful grain, and I can envision a great finished product. Transferred my patten, and then came the hard part...getting up the nerve to cut the wood. Took some double checking, and squaring the table a few times, but I finally turned the SS on and cut the ruff pieces.
Guess I'm sharing this with you guys, as my booster club friends, and work friends would never understand what it takes to cut into a fine piece of lumber in the hopes of creating a lasting memory.
Doubt if I'll finish before my surgery, but I plan to be back in the shop long before I have to be back on the job.
Gary
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Gary:

Glad :rolleyes: you reminded me about the bean bags. My eldest daughter brought me a game that she suggested could go to the younger grandchildren, after I repair it. It's been hiding in the "sports" closet for about a year. Maybe with Christmas around the corner, again, I should dig it out and see if I can fix it.

As for the wine rack, I decided to close my eyes and proceed with the pieces as is. After a temporary assmbly, the offset holes don't really show. Hopefully I will complete it in time for the next blog.

John
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

john wrote:....As for the wine rack, I decided to close my eyes and proceed with the pieces as is. After a temporary Assembly, the offset holes don't really show. Hopefully I will complete it in time for the next blog. John
Yeah!!!!! It's always best to try to make it work!!!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

john wrote: As for the wine rack, I decided to close my eyes and proceed with the pieces as is. After a temporary assembly, the offset holes don't really show. Hopefully I will complete it in time for the next blog. John
Yeah!!! I just knew it would work! At least I was hoping so! Yep! it's best to always give things another try.

Today I was really disappointed the frame of my little seat didn't turn out the right size! :( This after precisely milling rabets into the ends of the stiles and rails - only to discover I had dry assembled the pieces wrong. After a few minutes of thinking I had over cut the stiles by one inch - layed out the assembly again to find they really were sawn and milled correctly. :)
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
dusty
Platinum Member

Weekly Blog

Post by dusty »

There has been some progress this week but very little saw dust.

The heat pump has been fixed to the tune of more money than I want to discuss. It sure would have paid for some nice tools and a lot of lumber.

The door casing on the garage has been put back together and is in the process of getting repainted. The casing was torn off during an inspection of termite damage. Strange thing - no termites found. Treated the house and out building anyhow. Came time to repaint and a decision was made no use a different color than before. Must admit, it looks good - I think better than the old color but .... that means the whole house needs to be painted not just the east end.

The eye surgery a week or so ago has resulted in a major change in vision. The surgery was to remove a membrane that had developed after cataract removal. Took about two minutes to complete the laser treatment. I thought I could see better after the cataract removal but now vision is great.

Followups this month with the urologist and the knee surgeon both bring good news. All is well. I could tell that about my knees without going to the doctor.

I guess it is time to see if I can still beat the grand kids on the golf course. I might have a chance against Pete, he likes to hit the long ball but has very little control. Cora might be another story. She golfs regularly with a group of young professionals and is developing her finesse game (100 yards and in). It'll be fun no matter how it turns out. I think I can still beat both of them - we'll see.:rolleyes:

Got wood in the shop for an end table if I can ever get in there with it. Where has all the time gone. Whoever said retirement would be a bore.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

I can't think of a single thing that beats a day with the Grandkids. Happy to hear the rest of the body is doing well...and we used to joke about Lee Majors, and the Million Dollar Man.
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

kalynzoo wrote:I can't think of a single thing that beats a day with the Grandkids. Happy to hear the rest of the body is doing well...and we used to joke about Lee Majors, and the Million Dollar Man.
He was the SIX Million Dollar Man.:p
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

a1gutterman wrote:He was the SIX Million Dollar Man.:p

The cost of bionics has come way down?:confused:
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

dusty wrote:The cost of bionics has come way down?:confused:
If so, lucky for you then? :rolleyes:
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.