Dust collection

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Dust collection

Post by RFGuy »

Hal,

Looks great. Hopefully it increased your available airflow too. Your lungs will thank you for this upgrade!
:)
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

Thanks RF. It sure seems like there's more flow. That cloth bag must have been really clogged in spite of all my work on it.
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

RFGuy wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:08 am
ChrisNeilan wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:31 pm After taking off my original felt filter bag I saw and remembered why a canister adaptation will not be practical, regardless of air flow. The blower motor housing takes up a third or more of the space in the filter bag. You would have to make a very large adaptor to mount the canister filter on. That would be a problem with height in my shop... I think I will probably stick with my first plan, a new Laguna P or C Flux collector. They look well designed
Chris,

Isn't the cartridge filter for the Harbor Freight DC wide enough to slip over the blower of the DC3300 (see pic below)? I was only thinking of a 1-2" thick interface to mate the cartridge filter to the top of the DC3300 outer housing. I assume the wider Wynn filter cartridges, like for the Harbor Freight DC, would still have plenty of room inside for the DC3300 blower, but I may be wrong on this.

I did quite a bit of DC research last year and almost bought a Laguna DC. In the end, I think it would have been still too big (in footprint) for my small shop. I like Laguna and think it is a very good DC for the money. In my research the one negative that I came across on the Laguna DC is that they are "short stack" cyclones (reduced height cyclone and large dust exit at bottom of cyclone). It is a benefit because they fit under lower ceiling height shop spaces. The downside is that a short stack cyclone is slightly less efficient and will clog the filter faster than a long stack cyclone. I wouldn't see it as a deal breaker, but just expect that you may have to clean the filters more frequently with a Laguna DC versus a ClearVue cyclone or Oneida Gorilla/Super Dust Deputy cyclone. Not trying to discourage your purchase of a Laguna, but just wanting you to be aware on the filter cleaning.

Keep in mind that there are different filters depending on which Laguna DC that you buy. For example, I think you can get 0.4micron filters on the P/Flux series whereas the C/Flux comes with 1micron filters (same as 42" hood on DC3300). When I was looking at Laguna last year, all of their DC's had only 1micron filters. I emailed them and asked about getting better filters for their DC if I purchased it, but they never responded to me.

HF_WYNN.jpg
I lost track of this thread and just came back to see the modifications made. How did it work out in performance? I ended up buying a 1.75 HP Jet, but may still modify the Shopsmith to use on individual tools on the far end of the shop.
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
Deicer
Silver Member

Post by Deicer »

This thread helped me modify my DC6000 so I wanted to share pictures of what I did in hopes it will help others.
I did not do any pre or post measurements but qualitatively much better-Jim
Attachments
DC6000B.jpg
DC6000B.jpg (261.69 KiB) Viewed 1660 times
DC6000A.jpg
DC6000A.jpg (234.62 KiB) Viewed 1660 times
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

nicely done.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Deicer wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:48 pm This thread helped me modify my DC6000 so I wanted to share pictures of what I did in hopes it will help others.
This is great. I major step toward "good" dust collection. Also - the dust collection bag. JET part number please. What is the diameter pf the bag?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Deicer
Silver Member

Post by Deicer »

dusty wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:45 am
Deicer wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:48 pm This thread helped me modify my DC6000 so I wanted to share pictures of what I did in hopes it will help others.
This is great. I major step toward "good" dust collection. Also - the dust collection bag. JET part number please. What is the diameter pf the bag?
Thanks hfmann and Dusty.
The Jet Bag was purchased from Amazon. Number 709563 20-inch diameter 5 pack. Seems to fit well.
Other parts are the previously referenced Wynn filter and clamps.
The wood circle adapter is 20-inch diameter 3/4 inch thick with 1 and 3/5 inch lip.
The weather strip I used to seal the top of the DC6000 with the ring was also from Amazon 1/2in x 3/8 in one side adhesive foam tape.(Trisiki)
And the cyclone Separator was the Oneida Dust Deputy 2.5
Jim
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

Jim,

I did the same thing for my DC3300 (I think that's that the right model #) without the cyclone separator.

However, I had to put a sheet metal collar between my motor housing and the wooden flange.

hal