Dust collection

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rpd
Platinum Member

Re: Dust collection

Post by rpd »

It looks like the four sheet metal screws are to fasten the over lapping ends of the strip together to form the ring. The outer edge of the join is just to the right of the screws.

A sheet metal fabricator or an HVAC company would be a great source, They will have a large shear to cut it cleanly to size, :)
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Sheet metal shop.

Screws secure the overlaping ends of the sheet metal band?

Missed RPD's reply above prior to posting.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

Perfect. Thanks guys. I was worried about having to get exactly the right size metal piece and this gives lots of room to adjust it to final dimension. Big help and is much more doable for me now.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Often you can find thin sheet metal at the big box stores (Home Despot, Lowe's, Menard's, etc.). It is easy to cut with tin snips, but wear gloves and be careful of the edges. You'll get a cleaner edge using a metal bandsaw if available. Of course, you'll need to seal the edges anyway with silicone and/or some kind of trim piece inside or out. Depending on how you handle this, a slightly rough tin snipped edge may not matter. Also, you could use sheet acrylic as an alternative, but might need a frame behind it for structural support.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

If you can use aluminum you can get a roll of aluminum flashing in a variety of widths like 10",12", 14", and bigger.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

Ed, that sounds like a great idea. I wonder - do you think the flashing will be rigid enough to support the wooden donut and canister?

thanks,

hal
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

hfmann wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:59 pm Ed, that sounds like a great idea. I wonder - do you think the flashing will be rigid enough to support the wooden donut and canister?

thanks,

hal
Depends on the gauge. You might need some vertical stiffeners inside or outside of the new cylinder. I think you can tell by the feel the stuff that is too thin to bother with.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

Thanks Ed, that makes sense to me. Thanks,

hal
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

It was mentioned in another thread, and seems like a good idea, that threaded rod with nuts and washers would make good structural components for this if needed. This should eliminate any concerns regarding the strength of the sheet metal.

- David
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

Finally got it done. Ended up using 24 gauge sheet metal that a local HVAC shop cut for me. Wow. What a difference this new filter made. I think it's much quieter too.
DIY manometer showing simulated completely clogged filter
DIY manometer showing simulated completely clogged filter
20201228_150813.jpg (174.26 KiB) Viewed 2363 times
Also made the DIY manometer so I'd know when it needed cleaning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9l9e8P ... =emb_logo Took lots of gorilla tape to get a plastic bag completely sealed over the filter to simulate a clogged filter in order to show the reading when completely clogged.
wynn environmental canister fitted onto Shopsmith DC3300
wynn environmental canister fitted onto Shopsmith DC3300
20201228_122626.jpg (117.23 KiB) Viewed 2363 times
Now back to some wood turning.

hal