New Shopsmith DC-6000 Dust Collector

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: New Shopsmith DC-6000 Dust Collector

Post by JPG »

Perhaps(hopefully) all this blabbering about it has caused some second thoughts regarding it in Dayton.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
shopsmithpaul
Gold Member

Post by shopsmithpaul »

Here is what I sent, and Shopsmith's response, and then again another reclarification question. I still don't see a definitive answer on the DC3300 upgrade kit to make it a DC6000.

To Shopsmith 6/29
To clarify,

Does the upgrade to my old DC3300 make it just like the new DC6000?.
Does the upgrade kit for $279 include the new impeller, motor, and housing to make it a DC6000?
There is a lot of debate on the forums and skepticism about the upgrade.

From Shopsmith 7/1
Hi Paul,

Please see Jim's response below to your inquiry.

Denise

Denise;
I answered (through Brooke) this a couple of days ago
The answer is:
Both the Fan and the Fan Housings have been changed to a much more efficient design
The fan went to a steel, 6-blade "Turbo-Fan" design
The fan housings are smooth steel, designed for the Turbo Fan for more efficient operation

Again, to Shopsmith 7/1
Still need clarification.

Sorry for all this, but members on the forum are not satisfied with the answers.. I asked if the upgrade for $279 includes the new fan blade and housing. Nowhere has that been stated.
If this is verified I think Shopsmith will see purchases for the upgrade. A simple yes or no will work.

Thanks, Paul

So at least four people have been involved with my string of questions. Denise, Brooke, Elizabeth, and Jim McCann. I did learn that the new fan and housing are steel, but am unsure if the $279 upgrade includes them.
510, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, jointmatic
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:37 pm Perhaps(hopefully) all this blabbering about it has caused some second thoughts regarding it in Dayton.
What blabbering? These have been serious questions and concerns.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

shopsmithpaul wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:21 am Here is what I sent, and Shopsmith's response, and then again another reclarification question. I still don't see a definitive answer on the DC3300 upgrade kit to make it a DC6000.

To Shopsmith 6/29
To clarify,

Does the upgrade to my old DC3300 make it just like the new DC6000?.
Does the upgrade kit for $279 include the new impeller, motor, and housing to make it a DC6000?
There is a lot of debate on the forums and skepticism about the upgrade.

From Shopsmith 7/1
Hi Paul,

Please see Jim's response below to your inquiry.

Denise

Denise;
I answered (through Brooke) this a couple of days ago
The answer is:
Both the Fan and the Fan Housings have been changed to a much more efficient design
The fan went to a steel, 6-blade "Turbo-Fan" design
The fan housings are smooth steel, designed for the Turbo Fan for more efficient operation

Again, to Shopsmith 7/1
Still need clarification.

Sorry for all this, but members on the forum are not satisfied with the answers.. I asked if the upgrade for $279 includes the new fan blade and housing. Nowhere has that been stated.
If this is verified I think Shopsmith will see purchases for the upgrade. A simple yes or no will work.

Thanks, Paul

So at least four people have been involved with my string of questions. Denise, Brooke, Elizabeth, and Jim McCann. I did learn that the new fan and housing are steel, but am unsure if the $279 upgrade includes them.
The highlight above sounds to me to be Jim McCann's answer but it still does not definitively answer the most significant question. Asked another way, are the fan and fan housing used in the upgrade kit the same (design and material) as those in the DC-6000 or are they a hybrid of the new design?

Yes, they have different part numbers. This is what causes my question.

Same item, different number, doubtful.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Here's how I see it. McCann plainly doesn't want to answer whether the upgrade kit includes a new impeller and makes the DC3300 the equivalent of the DC6000. And THAT''S your answer.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

algale wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:27 am Here's how I see it. McGann plainly doesn't want to answer whether the upgrade kit includes a new impeller and makes the DC3300 the equivalent of the DC6000. And THAT''S your answer.
I agree. Assumptions keep getting made about what is included in the DC-3300 upgrade. What complicates it is the emails going back and forth use the word "upgrade" to both describe the DC-6000 as an upgrade and the DC-3300 motor + ??? as an upgrade. So there is potential for crossed wires in the communications here. Until someone gets one of these in the mail, we won't really know what is included. I am inclined to believe it is just a motor, but I would be happy to be proven wrong here...
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

If you read all that has been written here there should be no question about which major parts of the DC-3300 are being changed by the upgrade.

The DC-3300 upgrade kit includes a new 1 1/2 HP motor. The kit also contains a new fan blade and a new fan housing. These two items have part numbers different than those items in the DC-6000. Does this make them different items? I don't know that. I have reason to believe that both the upgrade kit and the DC-6000 utilize the same 1 1/2 HP motor (523196). The upgrade kit does not utilize part numbers 523196 (Impeller Housing) or 556701 ((Turbo Fan) but does contain a fan housing and fan (as stated above).

The DC-6000 utilizes a 1 1/2 HP motor. It also has a new turbo fan and fan housing and is designed to provide 600cfm air movement. Does the upgrade include a steel 6 bladed "turbo fan and steel fan housing? I don't know but I feel that whatever is in the upgrade kit (for these two items) it will not be the same "fan" and "fan housing" as that in the DC-6000.

I, personally, am satisfied with that information even though it does not fully define the upgrade kit. What does concern me is the vagueness that exists regarding air flow. Does an upgraded dust collector deliver 600CFM or not????

I have also been assured that the upgrade kit contains all of the other items (hardware, gaskets or whatever) required to complete assembly of the upgraded DC-3300. The upgrade kit

I expect to have these questions answered before this day is over.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

dusty wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:03 am If you read all that has been written here there should be no question about which major parts of the DC-3300 are being changed by the upgrade.

The DC-3300 upgrade kit includes a new 1 1/2 HP motor. The kit also contains a new fan blade and a new fan housing.
Dusty,

I have been reading this thread intently, but I haven't seen anyone confirm with Shopsmith that a new impeller comes with the DC-3300 motor upgrade package. If you look below though, you will see that David confirmed with Shopsmith CS that it includes a new motor, motor housing, seals and screws, but no impeller (fan) or impeller housing.
DLB wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:56 am I spoke to SS CS this morning and she indicated that according to the BOM there is no impeller or fan in the "557092 DC-3300 1-1/2 HP Motor Upgrade Package." There is a motor, connector, motor housing, seals, screws etc. There was no fan or blower housing.
- David
Last edited by RFGuy on Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

I agree with RF Guy.

I've seen nothing that confirms the upgrade kit includes a new impeller or impeller housing. Nor have I seen part numbers for anything in the upgrade kit.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I did NOT intend to infer that all this blabbering was insincere nor irrelevant. It actually is very germain. However we be spinning our wheels with out traction from Dayton. Unfortunately what grab our wheels have obtained, leads us to an unlikely and unprecedented conclusion re SS being totally up front on this. A sad development.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange