Sharpening Guide

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

WoOdbEmE33
Silver Member

Re: Sharpening Guide

Post by WoOdbEmE33 »

Rpd. Many thanks for that link
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I have gone through many variations of sharpening guides and was never satisfied with any of them including the Shopsmith one. I finally settled on a Rikon slow speed grinder with the Wolverine sharpening system mounted on a tool cabinet from Harbor Freight Tools. Keeps the tools organized and clean and the setup can be rolled to a convenient place in the shop'
grinding station.jpg
grinding station.jpg (86.68 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
DSC04544.JPG
DSC04544.JPG (310.58 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
shallow drawer.jpg
shallow drawer.jpg (101.22 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
Bill V
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

Got to thinking about this old thread this weekend while doing some spindle turning and realizing I need to touch up my spindle gouges. Since I have the Fine Woodworking digital collection, I thought I would do a search to see if anyone had anything to say about free-hand fingernail grinding. Sure enough, on Pages 100 and 102 of Issue 187, there is an article by Mike Mahoney that describes his process. A short article, but well worth finding. No jigs involved, just a grinder. The method is essentially the same as the one Keith Rowley uses, only the angles for the table tilt and the "swing" are both 40 degrees. Hope to get a chance to try it sometime in the next few days.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

Sounds like the Stuart Batty 40/40 grind. Very popular grind but hard to do with a jig.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... 0+40+grind

Mike
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

Mike;
Thanks for pointing me to the 40/40 grind. In the article I mentioned, Mike Mahoney does refer to Stuart Batty. After seeing your post, I looked up Batty and I see he has a lot to offer. I appreciate the link.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

edflorence wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:18 pm Mike;
Thanks for pointing me to the 40/40 grind. In the article I mentioned, Mike Mahoney does refer to Stuart Batty. After seeing your post, I looked up Batty and I see he has a lot to offer. I appreciate the link.
Ed,

Don't know if it is helpful or not, but Ashley Harwood worked with Stuart Batty and learned from him for many years, I believe. I bought her woodturning instructional videos from the Wood Whisperer Guild. In one of the videos she goes into thorough detail on the 40/40 grind. If interested, you may want to look into her videos. She also does small class instruction at her studio in Charleston, SC.

https://thewoodwhispererguild.com/produ ... e-turning/
https://thewoodwhispererguild.com/product/bowl-turning/
https://www.ashleyharwood.com/
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

RF Guy;

Thanks for those links. I had never encountered Ashley Harwood before. Judging from the photos, she is quite accomplished. I looked at the tools she has for sale and was interested to see that she is selling some "negative rake" scrapers. This is something else I have only recently heard of, but which looks like it could be worthwhile. I could probably learn a lot from her videos.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

edflorence wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:43 pm RF Guy;

Thanks for those links. I had never encountered Ashley Harwood before. Judging from the photos, she is quite accomplished. I looked at the tools she has for sale and was interested to see that she is selling some "negative rake" scrapers. This is something else I have only recently heard of, but which looks like it could be worthwhile. I could probably learn a lot from her videos.
Ed,

Yeah, I bought a few of her chisels and I can attest to them being of a very high quality. Though, I still need a lot more practice with them as I am still using my Easy Wood scraping tools too much as I have gotten more comfortable with them. The Wood Whisperer Guild videos by her are really good and thorough. IF interested, Marc does sales at different times of the year (usually major holidays), which makes the price more palatable on her two courses at the Guild. She also has an IG and YT channel, but honestly she doesn't post on them much. There might be some advice in one of her past YT vids that may be of interest to you. Yes, I believe she is very talented and she is invited to give demos of her techniques in woodturning internationally which speaks volumes of her credibility IMHO.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Bill,

I like your portable Grinding set up on the Tool Base Cabinet. Since moving I put my Radial Arm Saw on a similar base cabinet since it was no longer "built in" on cabinets like it was in my old shop. Shortly after putting the RAS on the Tool Base Cabinet, I found the long-lost remaining parts to the RAS original stand and am going to put the RAS back on it. You have inspired a new use for the Tool Base Cabinet as a new home for my Grinder which has been stored on a shelf since moving.

As a side note I use the Strip Sander with the Chisel Sharpener Attachment for most of my Lathe Chisel sharpening but first used the Sharpening Guide with good results. I do like the looks of Ed's Shopsmith Grinding Wheel Attachment set up.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.