Power Station Preventitive Maintenance

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Power Station Preventitive Maintenance

Post by dusty »

:confused: Is there no maintenace to be performed on the Power Station?

Bearings are sealed and need no lubrication? Drive belts don't need retensioning over time? Waxing is not necessary?

Maintenace free for the life of the machine. Yeah, right. It's just that no maintenance means a shorter life. Mine is about 12-15 years old and has had NO maintenace. So, I began checking. The manual speaks of none but when I looked into the machine I became a doubter.

The belts are very loose, one especially. I have tightened it by repositioning the motor but I would like some feedback. Just how does one know when these belts are properly tensioned. Tension changes as the speed is changed so where does one check tension? At high speed or at low speed and what is one checking for as an indicator. An 1/8" of belt deflection or an inch (or more) of belt deflection which is what I had.

This is the first time I have gone to a Shopsmith manual for answers and found none. I am really surprised. I didn't think that could happen.:eek: