Mark VII Replace On/Off/On Toggle Switch

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

skabshere
Bronze Member

Mark VII Replace On/Off/On Toggle Switch

Post by skabshere »

Happy New Year, all --
I'm restoring an inherited Mark VII which has the A.O. Smith motor, Model C48L2A7 (1.125 HP) (recently rebuilt).
The original 3-button General Electric keyed power/direction switch was replaced years ago by this:

Manufacturer: Carling toggle switch
- On/Off/On "maintained" toggle position
- 10A at 250 VAC, 15A at 125 VAC
- 3/4 HP 125-250 VAC
- 1.2.3 Phase
- Nine connectors
- Housing: 1 1/4" L x 1" W

I want to replace it with a new similarly-sized 3-position toggle switch
that's rated along these lines:
- On/Off/On "maintained" toggle position
- 18A or 20A at 120-240 VAC
- 1.125 HP or 1.5 HP at 120 VAC
- 1.2.3 Phase
- Nine connectors

NB: The original General Electric switch was rated:
- Model ASP 3134-01 (circa 1964)
- 18A at 120-240 VAC
- 1.125 HP at 120 VAC

I'm concerned that the current Carling switch has an Amp rating (15A)
and HP rating (3/4 HP) that's less than the orignal GE switch ratings.

Valid concern? Or simply replace/ignore the current 15A toggle switch?
Thanks.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Mark VII Replace On/Off/On Toggle Switch

Post by JPG »

You may ignore it as long as you can tolerate early replacement of the switch.

?? Is it 3 pole double throw center off?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
skabshere
Bronze Member

Post by skabshere »

JPG,
Thanks for the reply/advice. You may be right that the current toggle switch is 3PDT On/Off/ON.
Is a SPDT On/Off/On toggle switch rated for 15A or 20a the more appropriate replacement switch?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

To get fwd off rev you need 3pdt.

A switch rated at 15A(3/4 hp) will work, but will likely fail sooner than a higher rated one.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
skabshere
Bronze Member

Post by skabshere »

JPG,

Thanks. I found a NKK "S33" 3PDT on/off/on toggle switch rated for 20A @ 125A
and will use that as replacement.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

NOT A good choice. The 20A is resistive load. The 'inductive' load rating is 8A. The previous 15A/3/4hp is a better choice.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

alxlo
Bronze Member

Post by alxlo »

Recently got a Mark VII, and I need to replace the switch. I bought a Carling HM254, 3pdt, on off on switch, with 9 connection lugs. I'm having a problem figuring out how to re-wire this new switch. Any guidance would be appreciated.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Which motor do you have?

A 4pdt would be better.

A 25.. is underated rated. A 27.. would be better.

A 254.. will work but may not be durable.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

alxlo
Bronze Member

Post by alxlo »

It's the GE motor with external start relay, (capacitor). A little more info: the existing switch works fine in reverse, full speed, nice and smooth. In the fwd position the motor turns slowly, maybe 300rpm. I switched the wires on the T5 and T9 terminals and now the motors runs at full speed clockwise with the reverse button depressed. This is really all I need as I'm planning on using it mainly for band saw and sanding. I have a Mk V with the Mk 7 upgrade retrofit which has reversing functions. If I can get the replacement switch installed, it will be nice. Carling rep told me terminals 2, 5 and 8 are power inputs, but I'm still not sure which wire goes to which terminal
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

2,5,8 on what? The carling switch?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝