Slipit woodworkers sliding compond

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

efmaron
Gold Member

Slipit woodworkers sliding compond

Post by efmaron »

Because of a discussion about rust prevention on another forum I found out about a product called Slipit. http://www.slipit.com I ordered a can with my SS in mind. I did a search here and found that slipit was briefly mentoined about a month or two ago. I have spent a good part of this past week testing this product, on the lable it is stated to be the woodworkers sliding compond.All of my SS equipment I bought in 1981 so my MarkV is a 500. I started with the way tubes, table, fence, and miter gage. All the surfaces seemed very slick. Than went to the band saw table (cast iron) planer and scroll saw, with the same results a very slick surface with little effort. Next came my router table and radial arm saw cabinet, both have a plywood & hardboard tops. Gave both a good appllcation of slipit and a good buffing,same results a nice slick surface. Next I took a piece of poplar and cabinet plywood rubbed them both hard on all of the sufaces just treated with slipit than applied a stain to each, the stain penetrated the wood as it should and than a polyuratane finish no visable problem. I made a indicater holder that will slide in the miter slots, the holder has a dovetail slide for easy adjustment, I got to a piont that I did not want to remove any more material from the dovetail to get the movement that I wanted but it was still a bite to tight. I coated both halfs of the holders dovetail with slipit and buffed it out and got the fit I wanted. I am not tring to sell anybody on this product, just passing along some information that may help.
Eric, Sebring Fl.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

And it's made in the USA.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Good report, Eric. Thank you.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Thanks Eric!:D Never would have imagined such stuff existed. And Food Safe too!:)
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

Thanks for the information. Especially since I'm in the Culinary Arts program at college.
This will help me two-fold.;)
John, aka. Pinkie. 1-520, 1-510 & a Shorty, OPR. 520 upgrade, Band Saw, Jig Saw, scroll saw, Jointer, Jointech Saw Train.:) Delta Benchtop planer, Makita LS1016L 10" sliding compound miter saw, Trojan manf. (US Made)Miter saw work center, MiniMax MM16 bandsaw.
Squire of the Shopsmith. ...hmmmm, maybe knave, pawn, or wretch would be more appropriate for me.:D
weelildaddy

Post by weelildaddy »

Thanks Eric! This sounds like a very promising product. I wish they had a local distributor. I have just ordered a sample of both versions. Thought perhaps the silicone version would be more efficient for everything that did not touch unfinished wood.

Arno
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I like their comments on the silicone free formula.
Formulated without silicones for use where silicones are undesired. Typically in finishing environments like Woodworking and Paint shops. USED IN WOODWORKING WHERE FINISHING IS REQUIRED

Once again if your going to finish the wood keep silicon away from what your doing!
Ed
larryanderson
Bronze Member

Which form of SlipIt?

Post by larryanderson »

Eric--

Thanks for the "heads up" on the SlipIt product. I had never heard of it.

Several forms of SlipIt are mentioned on the web site. Which one of these did you use to get your excellent results? Spray, gel, etc.?

--Larry
efmaron
Gold Member

Post by efmaron »

Larry,
I used the paste. My shop gets quite warm during the day living here in Florida so the the paste on the very top of the can becomes a liquid. With that said I donot think it matters which form you choose the results will be the same. Just be sure to get the slipit in the green lable.
Eric, Sebring Fl.