Motor Pan and Belt cover screws

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dwberry
Silver Member

Motor Pan and Belt cover screws

Post by dwberry »

Restoring an 1980's headstock that was given to me. Does anyone know the size U-nut and pan head screw that is used to hold the motor pan and belt cover to the headstock. Also, any recommendations for gray paint to repaint without going back to Shopsmith for paint.
br549
Platinum Member

Re: Motor Pan and Belt cover screws

Post by br549 »

Here's what mine from a 1980 model look like and measure. Forgot to photograph the distance between the two legs of the clip, but it measures about 1/8".

I think the screws are 1/2" long #6-32, but I couldn't get them to thread into nuts that size ... perhaps the starting threads were just too messed up.

I have since replaced all of the original screws with hex washer head sheet metal screws as shown in the last picture. The slotted head screws were too difficult for me to remove and replace with a flat blade screw driver for fear of slipping out and scratching the covers. And, the grip wasn't always the best with machine screws. A 1/4" nut driver is all I need now.
Attachments
belt cover screw and clip2.jpg
belt cover screw and clip2.jpg (188.15 KiB) Viewed 1610 times
belt cover screw and clip3.jpg
belt cover screw and clip3.jpg (140.73 KiB) Viewed 1610 times
belt cover clip2.jpg
belt cover clip2.jpg (107.13 KiB) Viewed 1610 times
belt cover clip.jpg
belt cover clip.jpg (87.93 KiB) Viewed 1610 times
belt cover clip3.jpg
belt cover clip3.jpg (122.07 KiB) Viewed 1610 times
belt cover screw.jpg
belt cover screw.jpg (79.15 KiB) Viewed 1610 times
belt cover screw and clip.jpg
belt cover screw and clip.jpg (182.28 KiB) Viewed 1610 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The 'clip' needs to be the 'thicker' variety that fits the thickness of the casting. They have a 'name' but it escapes me at the moment.(tinnerman?)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The screws on mine are Phillips Head #8 about a 1/2" long and Tinnerman clips to match. They were the same on a 1982 Mark V I restored. Earlier Slotted Head screws were used and the casting holes on older Mark 5's were threaded.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
shackman66
Silver Member

Post by shackman66 »

If anyone knows the correct size and thread pitch for the motor pan fasteners on and old greenie I'd appreciate it. I bought and repaired one that was apart and without fasteners. Despite keeping every fastener that's ever come across my bench I couldn't find a match. I wound up firing five rivets into it. If I have to take it apart again I can just drill the heads off without damaging the threads.
MK5 344440 - 1956, MK5 100952 - 1981, Magna Model 610, Magna Model 620, Magna Model 630
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

shackman66 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:40 am If anyone knows the correct size and thread pitch for the motor pan fasteners on and old greenie I'd appreciate it. I bought and repaired one that was apart and without fasteners. Despite keeping every fastener that's ever come across my bench I couldn't find a match. I wound up firing five rivets into it. If I have to take it apart again I can just drill the heads off without damaging the threads.
Don't recall if you had threaded holes originally but if so they are probably stripped out. You need to get some Tinnerman clips so you can use sheet metal screws or something similar with a tapered point to replace the original screws. Tinnerman clips are shown in the picture up above and are available at hardware stores in a variety of sizes.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

shackman66 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:40 am If anyone knows the correct size and thread pitch for the motor pan fasteners on and old greenie I'd appreciate it. I bought and repaired one that was apart and without fasteners. Despite keeping every fastener that's ever come across my bench I couldn't find a match. I wound up firing five rivets into it. If I have to take it apart again I can just drill the heads off without damaging the threads.
Mine are 12-24 but I can't say that is the original standard. It had a mixture when I got it, requiring three different tools. I changed it years ago, might have been more about standardizing than correcting. If I have to do it again I'll switch to the sheet metal screws and clips, that casting is a bit soft and thin to hold threads.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

3/16(=10-24) were original(IIRC). I have added epoxied on kep nuts where wear has been a problem. Good adhesion can be troublesome.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Unless the holes in the Headstock casting have been damaged in the last 60 plus years they were threaded and I believe they were # 8 - 32 screws and should be the same as the belt cover. If the holes are stripped out you could change to screws and Tinnerman clips.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
shackman66
Silver Member

Post by shackman66 »

Thanks all. If I don't have a fastener from my tin cans/peanut butter jars/ bean barrels that fits in my pile of s--t it's probably faffed anyways. I could tap it to a proper standard METRIC but screw it, rivets work just fine and if someone else needs to get into it they can drill it out. This units serial number 344440 falls in the middle of no mans land so it's not special except it's mine so no special attention.

BTW - I am chuffed at the response from the community. To get so many quality responses in so short a time. First time I saw a 10ER it gave me a ----- so hard but a MK5 with its goodies makes so much more sense and completes my tiny shop.
MK5 344440 - 1956, MK5 100952 - 1981, Magna Model 610, Magna Model 620, Magna Model 630