Don't Know Why

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Don't Know Why

Post by dusty »

I don't know why (don't have a real reason) but I have momentarily switched to Microsoft Edge from Firefox.

Are any of you using Microsoft Edge and if so have your experiences been good or not so good.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Don't Know Why

Post by RFGuy »

I have used Microsoft Edge, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Netscape and Google Chrome browsers over the years (occasionally Safari when I am on a Mac). Each have pluses and minuses. I liked Edge and used it for several years, but towards the end I had some issues using it with specific websites so I switched back to Chrome. Microsoft abandoned their internal browser development; I think like 2 years ago. Since then, Edge has been based on a Chrome browser engine with essentially a Microsoft "skin" on top of it. So, if you are using Edge today it is really a Chrome browser. So, for PC (Windows) use, it really is down to just two major browsers now (Chrome an Firefox). There are some fringe browsers out there, but I am not listing them here...bulk of the market are with these two browsers on Windows.
Last edited by RFGuy on Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Hate Edge. Had to use all of these in the past for work. In the long run, IE and Chrome were the best, but everyone always did have and still does have annoying faults. Mentioned right above, the browser industry is shaking out and it's really down to Chrome and Firefox. Customers have their preferences, but in the end the browser doesn't drive hardware and software sales significantly.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

The "Standard" browser for work is Edge. I really don't have any issues with it and it has a fairly clean interface. As noted above it is basically Chrome with a different skin. I need to use Chrome to connect to SAP because there are some rendering issues with Edge. For our software testing tool, only Explorer works because it extensively uses activeX controls.

At home, (which is now 3 feet to the left of work and I love the commute) I have Safari, Firefox, Chrome and Edge all installed on my mac for web development testing.

The net result is that all of them work 99% of the time with nearly all of the sites I need to get to, but none of them can be used for 100% of my work.
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Don't like Edge. Because of my work in the past I had to use Internet Exploiter most of the time, and then increasing use of Chrome, which I use now. Chrome. I had to deal with compatibility issues with most of the browsers out there from time to time, but most of the business world did not switch to Edge. That was the state of things 3 years ago when I retired, perhaps the world has changed, but I think Chrome is currently the browser of record, the one that will have the greatest compatibility among web based apps. That doesn't make it the best browser, just the safe approach for developers.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Ya gots something against Mozilla(Firefox)?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Pretty sure that was a spammer that restarted this old thread and Edge is NOT a "new" browser. Anyway, you should know that MS abandoned their Edge browser and it is now an open sourced version of Chrome. In other words, the browser guts are Chrome and Edge is simply a graphical wrapper around that internal core. It was definitely an improvement when MS dropped their Edge development four years ago and replaced it with Chrome.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-get- ... e-chromium
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

RFGuy wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:45 pm Pretty sure that was a spammer that restarted this old thread and Edge is NOT a "new" browser. Anyway, you should know that MS abandoned their Edge browser and it is now an open sourced version of Chrome. In other words, the browser guts are Chrome and Edge is simply a graphical wrapper around that internal core. It was definitely an improvement when MS dropped their Edge development four years ago and replaced it with Chrome.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-get- ... e-chromium
Now if µsoft would just do the same with Linux!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I would still be using 98 if I could , It didnt have a bunch of stuff in it that to me is useless .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Or gets in the way! Or adds additional clicking.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝