Hanging doors

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

everettdavis
Platinum Member

Hanging doors

Post by everettdavis »

Odd solution I suppose...

Out of shims and needing to ensure hinge side of door jamb plumb. 1 3/4” solid core door in sound proofed wall.

Cut an Oak board to back custom jamb.

Hinge screws otherwise would have not been into anything but soft jamb material. Door jamb in wall was was not plumb. It bowed in at the jack stud in the middle.

My solution was to run in 3 screws in three areas and back them out to micro adjust them to plumb the jamb.

3 sets of 4” hinges will support the door with 1” screws all of which will anchor into Oak behind jamb.

1/2” Sheetrock and 1/2 Homasoate on both sides of wall made wall 5 1/2 thick opposed to traditional 4 1/2”

It will be exceptionally strong.
52A9BFAB-0AF0-4981-967A-DE5A12752961.jpeg
52A9BFAB-0AF0-4981-967A-DE5A12752961.jpeg (241.07 KiB) Viewed 3341 times
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: Hanging doors

Post by Hobbyman2 »

A mans got'a do what a mans got'a do !! Good thinking !!
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
gaykirkham
Bronze Member

Post by gaykirkham »

I don't think I could have decided to do the front or interior doors myself. Of course, I can make doors out of suitable boards. But those doors I'd put in a barn or a garage, but not in my house, you know. I always want my house or rooms to be graceful and desirable. I want people to look at our home with admiration, so I carefully choose my furniture, curtains, and doors. Doors are an important part of the interior. So I have great oak doors that I purchased at https://www.internaldoors.co.uk/interna ... /victorian in my house. My wife, like me, really wanted us to have dark wood Victorian doors. I didn't do the doors myself because I wanted them to look dignified and sophisticated.
Last edited by gaykirkham on Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

Clever idea! Looks like it worked really well.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser