Traveling Academy

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

drrugby
Bronze Member

Traveling Academy

Post by drrugby »

I keep hearing that the Traveling Academy is at risk for being discontinued by SS because it doesn't bring in enough money.

If the folks at HQ read this forum I hope they realize how profitable the TA really is. As long as it stays even close to cost recovery it's a great investment for them.

Before I got my Mark V I can't tell you how many people and posts I read that talked about how useless the SS is. Everyone knows someone who has/had one and never used it. If the TA can get owners to actually use the machine, that is worth more than any advertising they can ever hope to buy.

I've had mine for a year and I already have had almost a dozen people tell me how jealous they are once they've seen it simply because I could show them something I've made with it. And I haven't even tackled furniture yet!! Just two clocks, a dozen pens, keychains and wine stoppers, a rattle and a handful of Christmas ornaments (all on the lathe - once I got started I didn't bother to move on to the other tools until recently :-)

After a year, I went to the TA sessions and it really sparked me to do more. I now have a bunch of new projects that are threatening to keep me from completing my goal of a whole tree's worth of ornaments by this Christmas.

To the folks at SS I have to say, You've already sold us the machine, don't worry so much about selling us all the gizmos at the academy but rather help us help you sell more machines to our friends by making their mouth water with how obviously useful it is.

cheers,
j
shopsmith
Bronze Member

Shopsmith Seminars

Post by shopsmith »

Shopsmith has no intentions of stopping our travelling academy. You can check our web page at http://www.shopsmith.com to see a listing of those coming to your area. I am not sure how this rumor got started but at this time we are continuing our travelling seminars for our customers.

Dixie Mihalek
Shopsmith, Inc.
Working Hard to be your lifetime woodworking partner
Bellevue58
Bronze Member

Post by Bellevue58 »

Thanks for the positive reinforcement! This committment on the part of the corporate office is just what the SS community needs. I am one of those that bought and hardly used the machine. Once I went to a three day academy things have changed dramatically. Mike Cobb is a great instructor and having the chance to bring your spouse at no extra charge is a great program. Needless to say we also bought several new items and are happily using them now! Thanks again.
tchwrtr55
Gold Member

Post by tchwrtr55 »

It is good the hear the TA will continue. We purchased a new SS several years ago when I had a little personal wind-fall. The contraption sitting in the garage was rather intimidating. We were questioning the wisdom of the purchase until my wife and I were able to attend one day of a TA. Schedule, work and a conciderable driving distance did not allow for us to attend more. Now between us, and the kids coming in, my wife is worried about wearing it out. No, we not able to purchase much from the TA. Our president's "Offshoring is good for the economy" policy has left my wife out of work for the last 2-1/2 years and myself to have to make a carreer change. We get stuff for it as need and finances allow.
ksdaddio
Gold Member

Traveling Academy

Post by ksdaddio »

I have attended all of the Academys that you offer. I live in the Kansas City Area, and have had a great time at these. I have had a Shopsmith for 25 years. My 4 grown children have all done 4H projects with me, all won ribbons, and they still display their work in their homes!

I originally set up my first SS by using the manual, then I purchased the "Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone" and fine tuned it. Finally after 20 years, I went to the TA, and learned some more.

Thanks for a wonderful product. I now own a 520 and a 500. I loaned my 500 to my son-in-law, and he hasn't quite got up to speed, but he will catch on one of these days.

You need to come up with something new for the TA, and you might cross reference your mailing list with those of us who have attended, because it could save you some postage. :)
redferd
Bronze Member

Post by redferd »

The TA was what influenced me to purchase my Shopsmith Mark V. I had heard of SS before but didn't know much about it. When I saw the demonstrations I was convinced that I could use one myself. Thanks for the TA. I think it does help sell people on buying the SS.
Unregistered

Post by Unregistered »

I purchased my Mark V 500 only 8 months ago from a kindly gentleman that was quickly losing his sight. While I'm not new to woodworking, I am new to the Mark V concept and could really gain from the TA experience, however... as a disabled Veteran I cannot afford the high cost of attending these "classes." So it appears that I'll have to enrich myself without this benefit. But not to worry as I'm already making and selling a wide variety of items using the Lathe, my bandsaw attachments. Thanks for a great product SS!

Terry B.
a.k.a. Wood2turn
dimendg
Bronze Member

Post by dimendg »

I also am a DAV and recently attended all 3 classes. I understand very well the paycheck to paycheck problem, but I highly reccomend that you attend at least the beginning class. Although most of the info is in the manuals, seeing it done by very experienced people makes everything go so much smoother.
honeydo
Bronze Member

Traveling Academy

Post by honeydo »

I agree that the Traveling Academy is well worthwhile. I haven't really had the time, space, or materials to use mine so I've been to 2 of the Academies and will probably go to another shortly because I want to tune mine up and re-lubricate it so I can start to use it because I'm starting towards retirement and am looking forward to doing some serious woodworking including turning so I[m gald to hear they'll keep going and add my vote to keep those academies intact... puhlesse:)
flashbacpt
Gold Member

Post by flashbacpt »

I have attended several TA sessions and have always found the instructor to be very patient, professional, and always willing to answer questions. These TA classes have allowed me to produce several projects, taught me how to perform the necessary maintenance on the SS, provided me with information for accurate setups on the tablesaw, bandsaw, along with several little tricks to make things operate more smoothly.
I am a long time ShopSmith owner (30 plus years!), and cannot say enough about the SS, and the Company. Their Customer Service is EXCELLENT, and has never failed to answer my questions, or provide a solution.
I do wish that the Company would truly consider having video tapes available to show various operations such as the maintence, and the use of various tools. I was once told that the company thought that this would take away from the TA classes, and for that reason, decided against the tapes.