Patio door doge door insert

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: Patio door doge door insert

Post by Hobbyman2 »

BuckeyeDennis wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:41 am When I was a boy, mother never trusted the lock on our sliding patio door. So she devised her own locking system. It couldn’t be simpler. Just size a small board to fit inside the bottom door track, cut it to length, and place it in the track such that it prevents the operating door from opening (i.e. just inside of the fixed door panel, between the operating door and the door frame).

It was a bit of a pain to bend over and remove the board when we wanted to go out on the deck, though. To solve that problem, perhaps you could hinge the board and add a lifting cord to it.

The other obvious downside: You can’t unlock the door from the outside.
----------------------

I made one of those when we moved into the house in TX and it didnt stop them from just lifting the door out of the track , how they got the door unlocked is beyond me .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
SpencerWhite
Silver Member

Post by SpencerWhite »

You should know that they ought to have requirements that ensure their quality when choosing the doors. I think that you should always be careful about it. First of all, you should ensure free, unhindered out and entry of the car. The dimensions of the gate must correspond to the vehicle size. Btw, I have installed a new garage-doors two months ago. I decided to choose the swing one. It is a long-standing, convenient and simple type. Besides, the price of such a design is the most acceptable.
Last edited by beeg on Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: remove URL.
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

Just curious, maybe it is just the picture, but what keeps a burglar from simply using the dog door? It looks large enough for a skinny thief to climb right through?

Mike -
ShopSmith Mark VII (406982), with Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, and Jointer
ShopSmith Mark VII (400457), (working backup or parts machine)
12" Craftsman Band Saw (113.243311)
12" Craftsman Powered Hacksaw (108.1501)
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas MFC Horizontal Milling Machine with Vertical Milling Attachment
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Hobbyman2 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:59 am
BuckeyeDennis wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:41 am When I was a boy, mother never trusted the lock on our sliding patio door. So she devised her own locking system. It couldn’t be simpler. Just size a small board to fit inside the bottom door track, cut it to length, and place it in the track such that it prevents the operating door from opening (i.e. just inside of the fixed door panel, between the operating door and the door frame).

It was a bit of a pain to bend over and remove the board when we wanted to go out on the deck, though. To solve that problem, perhaps you could hinge the board and add a lifting cord to it.

The other obvious downside: You can’t unlock the door from the outside.
----------------------

I made one of those when we moved into the house in TX and it didnt stop them from just lifting the door out of the track , how they got the door unlocked is beyond me .
I am not expert but my guess is roughly 90% of sliding doors are adjusted wrong. A thief only has to left the bottom of the door slightly to be able to pull it out of the track. All sliding doors to be secure need a pin that can be inserted that pins the door to the frame. That way the door can not be lifted out of the track. Also many windows have this same weakness. As home owners demand easier cleaning methods of window, such as tilt in or tilt out, the thief can easily manipulate the window out of its frame. Only a positive pin that pins the window to the frame will prevent this.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

too bad they dont make the rails where the door has to be open before it will lift up !!
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Hobbyman2 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:28 pm too bad they dont make the rails where the door has to be open before it will lift up !!
If they are installed properly, there should be an insert in the upper track that prevents the door from being lifted out when it is in the closed position.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Thanks Ron
My experience with sliding patio doors was back in the late 80's so things may have changed , back then it was just a top and bottom track and the doors were reversable to slide either way , there was a divider strip on the top and bottom that kept one door from moving .
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

It is just a plastic strip that clips into the top track. There are likely ways to defeat it, and it is entirely possible that people don't know why it is there and remove it.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

The lock on my sliding door is a hook that engages a bar in the jamb. The hook engages the bar from the under side of the bar so it is impossible to lift the door.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jonesrobyn017
Bronze Member

Post by jonesrobyn017 »

Hello. I finished renovating my apartment a long time ago, and now I do decor. Can you share the website where you bought your non-standard apartment door numbers? I'm looking for cool little things for my interior that will combine with other elements. Thank you, I will be glad for any advice.