windows 11

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Re: windows 11

Post by reible »

Do you still have POTs?

They killed that off here years ago. We had no real say in the matter, well you could have no phone I guess and a lot of people did that since cell phones came along. Most people have no idea what they have for service, actually been better in a lot of ways.

This has been the only long outage we have had. Our other outages were losing internet access and phone service but that is really rare and only for a short amount of time. Losing the phone like this has never happen.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

POTs?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

JPG wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:29 amPOTs?
POTS = Plain Old Telephone Service
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

roy_okc wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:41 am
JPG wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:29 amPOTs?
POTS = Plain Old Telephone Service
YEP!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Well less then 20 minutes after the package arrived I'm up and running on the new equipment. And best of all I have phone service again!

Will be back later after I tune things up and check the settings they provided, and make sure everything is working.........

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Yesterday was my first introduction to Windows 11..........and my last. My Wife has been using her HP laptop for quite a few years now, and used it to run her transcribing business for years too. Doing that, it got pounded on all day long typing manuscripts. After all these years of use, the keyboard and power switch, and other switches just started dying. The only fix was a new computer.

So, we went to Best Buy and picked up a new HP laptop with Windows 11. On first startup, Microsoft irritated me when they forced me to connect to Wifi before it would allow me to even see Windows 11. Once I did that, they irritated me again by attempting to force me to sign up for a Microsoft account and email. That finished my experience with Windows 11. I bailed out, erased Windows, and installed Ubuntu Linux. I never did even get to see Windows 11 run, and I'm happy to have it gone from my life.

Microsoft reinforced my opinion of Windows. Just replace it as fast as possible.
kenbu
Gold Member

Post by kenbu »

garys wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:38 am …On first startup, Microsoft irritated me when they forced me to connect to Wifi before it would allow me to even see Windows 11. Once I did that, they irritated me again by attempting to force me to sign up for a Microsoft account and email…
Hmmm. Sorry to hear about your experience. I had neither of those requirements when I started up my new Windows 11 Dell laptop. True, Microsoft offers many products and services, but didn’t force me to sign up for anything. Whatever I didn’t want was easy to skip past. So far, 11 seems a lot like 10 to me. However, I will say that Microsoft's pop-up ads for its own products (one cloud, edge, office365, etc.) are more frequent, disruptive and annoying.

Ken
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

It appears that the popup ads on Windows 11 are a simple mistake at Microsoft. This article suggests that they they put that into Windows 11 but had planned on hiding it from end users until and IF they decided to implement it. But maybe a simple goof at Redmond made it active.
https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/15/2297 ... 11-testing
TaraBullock
Bronze Member

Post by TaraBullock »

Hey guys. Need your advice. My dad has weak hardware, but he really wants Windows 11. What should I upgrade first to install Windows 11?
AntonyGarcia
Bronze Member

Post by AntonyGarcia »

Hey there. Welcome to the forum, I'm new here too. First things first, check if your dad's computer meets the minimum requirements for Windows 11. If not, you might want to upgrade the RAM or the processor.