windows 11

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: windows 11

Post by dusty »

john_001 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:57 pm Windows 10 will be supported until October, 2025, so I won't be in any hurry to upgrade my machines.
2025....by then I'll be 87 and needing computer time even more than now. Guess I better develop a five year plan to upgrafe. My computer is new and runs Windows 10. I have Windows 11 but switched back. Learning to Navigate required more time than I was willing in invest. Windows 10, Office 365 and Sketchup (with a little support from Adobe) gives all the computer power I need.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
PoppyYay
Bronze Member

Post by PoppyYay »

Upgraded my laptop to Windows 11 and encountered a problem with wifi. There is no stable connection and it goes on and off. I can't even play my favourite slot machines and there is a bonus of free spins now(((
Who has faced such a problem? Is it possible to solve it?
Last edited by PoppyYay on Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Likely Windows 11 needs a different network driver than Windows 10 used. Find out that network chip the laptop uses and check with the laptop manufacturer to see if they have a new driver for Windows 11.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

garys wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:37 pm Likely Windows 11 needs a different network driver than Windows 10 used. Find out that network chip the laptop uses and check with the laptop manufacturer to see if they have a new driver for Windows 11.
And good luck with that unless it is a fairly new laptop. I went through similar when MS pushed Windows 10. It broke a few of my peripheral devices by uploading 'generic' MS drivers to replace device specific drivers. Generally the hardware folk have long since moved on and don't update drivers for old hardware that is no longer under warranty and/or there was no implication that it was compatible with Win10 (11 in your case) when sold. MS will take reports on their drivers, but may or may not address the issues. My failures were less critical than yours, the PC is still usable for most things. IIRC CD, DVD, internal SD card, and a TV Tuner card were all no longer usable for me. I fully expect that the end of Win10 support will kill that PC.

- David
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

Yes, Microsoft has adopted the Apple OS update model and now limits its backward compatibility as they move forward. This is both good and bad. The bad is, obviously, that people will need to upgrade their computers and peripherals more often. But the good is that OS security can be more easily maintained. That and their ability to more easily incorporate increased driver functionality results in cost savings for them, which should translate into both more advanced device usability and lower costs for the end user. One of the changes to their update model is that they are constantly upgrading the OS through their Windows Update process. The Windows 10 that came out several years ago is much different from the Windows 10 of today. They have gradually added features and capability as the years went by. It’s like getting a free Windows update over time. So there are pluses and minuses.
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

The big win I see when Microsoft limits backward compatibility is that they force a lot of almost new computers to be sold off cheap. I have been buying those "obsolete" computers for years now and loading them with Linux where they outperform the new Windows computer that replaced them.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I'm still happy with windows 11. A recent update has something that I had been waiting for but it looks like I'll be waiting a bit longer.

I have used Bluestacks and currently use nox for android apps running in windows 10. I did not add them to my pc with windows 11 since I expected the microsoft version of the subsystem for android to be coming along. I have it up and running but it doesn't feel very stable and only has a few apps from the amazon app store available at this point, mostly nothing I'm interested in. I will play with for a while but I can see it will be a while longer to have something really useful, if that even happens.

BTW you can work around the requirements that windows 11 poses but at your own risk. Plenty of youtube videos on the subject. The two big issues have to do with security and what keeps my windows 10 machine from updating. If you want to think that it is all about making old pc obsolete go ahead and think that.

Also I will be off line for a while tomorrow installing a new modem. Our phone service has been down since Thursday and the problem has been traced to the modem, I have my doubts but we will see. They are providing a new one at no cost so why not?? They use to have an installer come and do it but now the instructions are in the box. Assume the hidden stuff is already put in so it should be no big deal unless something goes wrong then I will be without internet and phone, well except for cell service.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Your modem affects phone service?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Voip
voip status.jpg
voip status.jpg (175.62 KiB) Viewed 909 times
Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Ahhh pseudo telephone.

Much more complicated and prone to failure!.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange