Lincoln Logs, Wood Selection Question

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

doug45601
Gold Member

Lincoln Logs, Wood Selection Question

Post by doug45601 »

I have been tasked by the little 2 year old grandson to make him some Lincoln Logs for him and his "still in the oven brother".... so, because the brother to be will someday get his hands on them and the mouth is next, I must at least try to use safe products.

They should be easy enough to cut out after the dado work. I do need some recommendations on the best, safest type of wood to use for non-toxic, non-splinter factor. Also need some safe stain recommendations (should I stain or color them)

Was thinking along the lines of clear pine or poplar. Maple may be too hard and expensive for something that will probably lost in the couch crack or chewed up by the dog and then later used to start fires with.

I intend to make enough to fill a 5 gal pale. Thanks for your suggestions.:)
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Hi Doug,

My favorite stain for toys is Kool Ade. The packets without the sugar already in them. Always dampen first, allow to dry and sand the fuzz. A must with poplar, anyway.

The colors that can be made by mixing are endless. And it's CHEEP!

As for a finish, any finish on the market, if allowed to totally cure, is food safe. The operative words are "totally cure". I use polyurethane, but I can't begin to envision finishing all those little pieces. I'd just mix up a batch of Kool Ade in a plastic pail and dump the pieces in. Dry 'em and you're done.

Gene
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Lincoln Logs and Erector Sets (with real motors and gears that bite).

Those were the good ole days. They even had a flat plate with teeth all around the edge that attached to the motor shaft. This was my first table saw. Then there was the chemistry set.

Thanks to the Lawyers these learning toys are no longer available.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

doug45601 wrote:I have been tasked by the little 2 year old grandson to make him some Lincoln Logs for him and his "still in the oven brother".... so, because the brother to be will someday get his hands on them and the mouth is next, I must at least try to use safe products.

They should be easy enough to cut out after the dado work. I do need some recommendations on the best, safest type of wood to use for non-toxic, non-splinter factor. Also need some safe stain recommendations (should I stain or color them)

Was thinking along the lines of clear pine or poplar. Maple may be too hard and expensive for something that will probably lost in the couch crack or chewed up by the dog and then later used to start fires with.

I intend to make enough to fill a 5 gal pale. Thanks for your suggestions.:)
Hi Doug,
Here is a toxicity chart: http://old.mendelu.cz/~horacek/toxic.htm
Lincoln logs could probably be successfully made from Redwood. My take on the toxicity of redwood, is that it is only from the dust, so YOU have a bigger chance of a reaction then your g-kids, and the chance of YOU having a reaction is "uncommon" to"rare". Do knot forget to make some flats for the roofs, some roof supports and some chimneys! :D

Although real wood Lincoln Logs may be hard to find, they are still being made (but, made in "The Peoples Republic of China"): http://www.fatbraintoys.com/toys/brands/knex/lincoln_logs/index.cfm?source=google&kwid=lincoln+logs&gclid=CNnnoeWmq5cCFRxNagod41C1jQ http://www.backtobasicstoys.com/productsearch.aspx?txtSearch=lincoln+logs&image1.x=0&image1.y=0/&source=PDGOG08
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
perryobear
Gold Member

Post by perryobear »

Hi,

Some good suggestions on wood and finish selection have already been made. For anyone following this thread and wondering about making toy building logs, here is a link to the Shopsmith plan:

http://www.freeplaylogsplans.com/

I have a bunch of 3/4" pine scraps headed that way for my grandson. They are a timeless toy!:)

Dennis
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Thanks! I was looking for this as I remembered seeing it but did not remember where.

I have a grandson who would enjoy these... however I should check up in the attic to see if we have the old ones we got for our kids... and what condition they are in.

I could see this as a spring project and here is another thing I've seen... Take a picture or two of the little one(s) playing with them and then fashion a picture frame using the logs with the picture(s) in it... The one I saw was a dual frame but you could make it just a single or expand to a quad.

Ed
perryobear wrote:Hi,

Some good suggestions on wood and finish selection have already been made. For anyone following this thread and wondering about making toy building logs, here is a link to the Shopsmith plan:

http://www.freeplaylogsplans.com/

I have a bunch of 3/4" pine scraps headed that way for my grandson. They are a timeless toy!:)

Dennis
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

I want to bring up one more little fact. I happened to notice that Pine was knot listed in the toxicity chart that I posted. That is interesting as, for anybody interested enough, if you do a Google search titled "toxicity of pine" you may decide knot to use pine. It seems that the aramatic pine oil (knot dust) could be a problem.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
doug45601
Gold Member

Post by doug45601 »

Hay thanks all, lots of good tips and info. I did take a gander at the Shopsmith building plans.. Great! that's what I'll use.

Could not find any redwood locally. Going to use poplar or that craft wood that Lowes sells.. suppose to be in the pine family, I think... more like the old SPF stuff.

This is a great project that my oldest grandson, 13 want's to help out with. This will be his first introduction to power tools and woodworking.. I'll try not to lead by example as I did when I stuck my finger in the hand held power planer this past spring!!

Again, thanks for the leads on the plans, wood stain ideas etc.
iclark
Platinum Member

Post by iclark »

hi, Doug,

I don't want to be a kill-joy but you might want to consider how to stop the young ones from choking when they try to swallow the smallest pieces. it seems that they are remarkably similar to the hot dog size that we are supposed to cut in half lengthwise before the toddlers get to them.

until they are past teething age, you might consider something like drilling a lengthwise hole in the smallest pieces. I'm not _sure_ that is sufficient to make them toddler safe, but it might help. it might have the negative of making the Heimlich maneuver not work, but it also might keep them breathing until you can either get the needlenose pliers or get them to the ER.

Ivan
Mark V (84) w/ jigsaw, belt sander, strip sander
ER10 awaiting restoration
doug45601
Gold Member

Post by doug45601 »

Ivan, thanks for your suggestion. The smallest pieces I've made are 1-1/2 X 3/4 X3/4. (like a small hot dog size) Hopefully, mom and dad will be supervising when I'm not around.

The hole drilled in them as you suggested are "air holes" for breathing should they get lodged? Is that your thinking also?

Thanks again,
Doug