MK V used as a Shaper/Router

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

buzzsaw1
Bronze Member

MK V used as a Shaper/Router

Post by buzzsaw1 »

Just purchased a used MK V 510. Still leaning its many uses, have noticed router and shaper parts for SS on ebay. How is it configured for router shaper operations? I'm naive to this tool, but it seems to me that the only way is to use it as an overarm or vertiical router/shaper. Am I missing something? Any usefull tips?
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

buzzsaw1 wrote:Just purchased a used MK V 510. Still leaning its many uses, have noticed router and shaper parts for SS on ebay. How is it configured for router shaper operations? I'm naive to this tool, but it seems to me that the only way is to use it as an overarm or vertiical router/shaper. Am I missing something? Any usefull tips?
Image buzzsaw 1!
Actually, SS has available an overarm attachment that you can use. It requires your own router. You can use the SS, in drillpress mode as a "overarm" router too. They make available different chucks and guards for just that purpose. As for shaping, SS makes available two different methods]http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/Mast ... 8-08r2.pdf[/URL]

edit: Many people feel that the SS does an adequate job as a router; some say that the slower speed creates less burning, that you just have to feed the materials slower. You also have the option of buying the speed increaser to use when in router or shaper modes. On the other hand, if you like higher speeds, the SS is limited.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.