Table saw lock

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wooddan
Bronze Member

Table saw lock

Post by wooddan »

I have just inherited a Shopsmith Mark V with a bandsaw, jointer, biscuit jointer i am just trying to use the table saw and i cant even lock the table
if someone could tell me what knob to twist or pull (is it the table height knob) i have tried pushing and pulling every time i think it locks the table height knobstarts to spin and the table hits the head stock if it helps it is an 73-78 i believe ser 100999
dusty
Platinum Member

Table Saw Lock

Post by dusty »

I believe that you are saying "you cannot lock the table" so that it remains at the desired height.

If this is correct, I would suggest that you take apart, clean and inspect the "Table Height Crank Assemble". The table height locking mechanism is quite simple and very few things could be wrong so as to cause this problem.

If I had to guess I would say that you probably need to replace the wedgelock. Other than simply not being tightened, there is not much else that can cause your problem. Do not over tighten. You do NOT have to white knuckle this lock.

I am assuming that you have the manual. If you do not, it is my opinion that you must get one as your first order of business. The manual is very good, easy to read and understand, and is very comprehensive. You will have very few problems that are not covered.

You always have this forum. There is always someone ready to help.

Welcome aboard as a new user. I know you will enjoy the experience.
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

Dusty's advice is great, but the folks who rebuild Shopsmiths here at the factory tell me that something more needs to be said. It's possible that someone in the past disassembled your Shopsmith for cleaning or repair, then put it back together incorrectly or ommitting something. It happens -- they told me stories of wedge locks put it backwards, missing washers, and homemade wooden parts. Strongly suggest you look at the exploded views at http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/prod ... 0_1_14.pdf to see if your carriage is correctly assembled and all the parts are there.

With all good wishes,
dusty
Platinum Member

Table Saw Lock

Post by dusty »

wooddan

Did you find out how to lock your table?

More important, do you have the manuals for you Shopsmith equipment. If you do not, tell us what equipment you have and we'll help solve that problem.

Check these out if you haven't already.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/productmanuals.htm

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/prod ... e_1_10.pdf

Table saw lock

Post by wooddan »

Ive taken apart the carriage2 times and put it back together using the manuals specs.still the second you think it is locked the handle spins uncontrollably till it hits the head stock. It is driving me insane to have a wounderful machine collecting dust in my shop.
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

Dan, this may seem like an silly question, but since you're new to the Shopsmith, I'll ask anyway. Are you sure that both pinion gears are inserted, one from the rear of the carriage, and one from the front? When the table lock is turned to the right, it squeezes the two pinion gears in to lock them and keep them from turning. I suggest you look at the exploded pics from Nick's post above again to verify your setup. The pic can be confusing since it shows the rear pinion gear toward the front of the carriage when in actuality it is inserted at the rear of the carriage. Follow the dotted line. :) Good luck.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hey,

Would you have access to a digital camera? If we could see some pictures we might be able to see what is wrong.

It might also be helpful if we knew which model you have as the carriage assembly looks different on the 500 model then it does on the 505/510/520.

Let's go over the very basics of how the 500 version works and reference the part numbers for that.

The work table top has a part called a tie bar assembly (151) that has the down tubes which go into the carriage assembly these tubes have "teeth" gears actually. These teeth are what allows the table height handle (167) when turned, to move the table up and down. A pinion shaft has two "gears" called table pinions (163) that engage the teeth of the down tubes. When the handle is turned the "gears" should turn and the table should go up and down. From what I understand from your post this happens.

When you have the table at the correct height you then tighten the table height lock (170), this should keep the table at the height you set it at... (clockwise to tighten). If this is not the case then something in the string of parts from the nut (164) (163) (165) (163) (166) (167+168) (169) to (170) is wrong or it could be something to do with the corresponding teeth on the work table top.

At this point I think I would pull it all apart again and make sure you look at all the parts. I would even put the string of parts together without then being in the carriage (157). Make sure the threads are not stripped in the table height lock (170), check the threads on the pinion shaft (165)... make sure the shaft has not rounded the table pinion parts (163)... a good visual inspection might show up something.

Another thing you might want to do if this fails is to post your general location, you might have a shopsmith owner right down the street from you who wouldn't mind taking a look at it with you....

Ed
putttn
Gold Member

Post by putttn »

Wouldn't it be nice if SS would make a video of these things. Newbies and greenies could learn so much faster and be more confident in what they're going to do/done is correct. What a PR and marketing opportunity they're missing.
dusty
Platinum Member

Table Saw Lock - Turned Need for CD

Post by dusty »

Why must you wait for Shopsmith to publish a CD. Gather together a group of interested users in your area and create one; it could become a booming success and a new Norm Abrams is born.

If Shopsmith put one out it would be a marketing video and I don't think that is what you are advocating; that video is available now VHS.

Post by putttn »

No, what I'm advocating is either SS or one of the members here create a series of videos. There was a member of a Goldwing forum who did just that. He created 8 videos of maintenance/repair on GL 1800 Goldwings and sold them for $89 for the set. Sold out and had to do more. Everyone in the Goldwing forums raved about them because they showed how to do the maintenance/repair. I would just take the video and sit down and replay it whenever I was going to do a particular job, which for me, really helped my confidence and reference to what was explained in the repair manual. Actually seeing the job done was so much better than trying to read about it in a manual. Like adjusting the valves, what tool to use, how to use it, where adjustment was in reference to different parts of the engine. It wasn't a professional job by any means but very thorough and everyone really liked them. Forum members are always using pictures, why not go the next step and create a video? If I had the knowledge I would do it but unfortunately I'm really green.