Drill speed

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

kgfaro
Gold Member

Drill speed

Post by kgfaro »

Would it be possible to use s power drill to change speeds on a turned off head unit when either needing it at high speed off or during it back on to lower the speed after maintenance of sheave work?
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Drill speed

Post by JPG »

Possible? Maybe(if the drill is strong enough).

Do I recommend trying? NO!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

Post by RobertTaylor »

Not many drills have a chuck that will open to 5/8". I agree with JPG
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

For the last 30+ years, I've simply turned on the headstock with no accessories to load it down and adjust the speed lower. I've never tripped a breaker or had any issues with the headstock doing it that way. I don't see any reason you can't stop and restart the headstock at the higher speeds as long as you don't have accessories on it.
kgfaro
Gold Member

Post by kgfaro »

RobertTaylor wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:10 am Not many drills have a chuck that will open to 5/8". I agree with JPG
I could use a 5/8 socket but I'll not try you guys know more then I do about this I'm a newbie
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Use your sanding disk to rotate the spindle and sloooowly crank down the speed dial. 'Slow' is the key here, if you feel a lot of resistance on the speed dial or the disk the problem is not simply the high speed setting, it indicates the sheaves are binding, or perhaps the belt is wedged. You don't want to turn on the motor if there is any binding and make the problem worse.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I have seen a couple of setups where users with conventional headstocks used a drill to drive it for a low speed operation. They did not directly couple the drill to a shaft with a flat/tapered flat, though. If you use a drill chuck or router chuck on the SS end and couple via a rod or dowel I don't see a problem using a drill to spin the headstock. But IMO this may be more trouble than it's worth. I rarely stop the SS on high speed, generally only to oil the sheaves and/or remove the motor belt.

You have to use some judgment, but like Gary above I don't adjust mine to slow on every power cycle. (I know, in contradiction to written direction.) My threshold is ~3500 RPM because I don't think my SS in my shop is working much harder to start at that speed. Usually that means configured with a saw blade and jointer. I leave my shorty set up that way most of the time. At higher speeds I don't do it. The headstock draws noticeably more current and takes noticeably longer to spin up at higher speeds.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

With a 240v motor, I simply do not concern myself with this issue.

Turning down to slow is a 70 year old mantra that existed because of 3/4 hp motors and then typical low house power wiring.

But turning down to slow eliminates the possibility of starting up at too high a speed for a newly attached SPT.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange