Handle crank

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

kgfaro
Gold Member

Handle crank

Post by kgfaro »

Just got the handle and crank wheel to do the mood o.j. My way but it didn't come with a screw this anyone know if it's sold separately?I called Shopsmith the girl didn't have a clue
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Handle crank

Post by dusty »

Which handle and crank wheel to do which mod to what?

If you didn't express your needs to CS any better than you have done here - it is no wonder she didn't have a clue.
I have a hunch that you are talking about the depth of cut crank for the Shopsmith mounted surface planer but that is just a hunch.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
kgfaro
Gold Member

Post by kgfaro »

Well your WRONG! Ha Just kidding I'm talking about the order sure knew I place because I gave her the order number not bad for a boy from NYC We do have some thought after all. Yes the crank t lift the saw table the rounds one. No screw to it to attach the handle. THANKS for the help
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Dusty,

IIRC, He had posted a desire to convert the Mark V 500 carriage table raising crank handle with the Mark V 505/510/520/M7 round crank and handle. This is why I suggest using one thread for all the questions, answers and information related to one tool in a single thread.

kgfaro,

This idea has been discussed before in previous threads. It can be done but as I remember there is a spacing issue that has to be taken care of to make it work. Filling in the extra space between the Table Elevating Pinion (ref # 170) and the back side of the Table Crank (ref # 172). I would have to try it again to give you the specifics.

You said
No screw to it to attach the handle.
If I understand correctly you were unable to order the screw reference # 173 Part Number 513418 as it no longer shows as available. It is the special screw that attaches the Crank Knob Ref # 174 P/N 513417 to the Table Crank Ref # 172 P/N 514334. The screw is called the Handle Shaft which is not a standard screw as shown in the picture below. It has 1/4" - 20 threads. The threaded section is 15/32" long and the nonthreaded remainder of the shaft is 21/32" long and is a bit larger in diameter than the threaded part. I am not sure why they have it shown as not available in the repair parts section since they still need them to make the Mark V 520 and Mark 7.

_
513418 Handle Shaft.jpg
513418 Handle Shaft.jpg (143.17 KiB) Viewed 1210 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

I have a suspicion that this shoulder bolt might work.
https://www.grainger.com/product/FABORY-Standard-42NN90
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

rpd wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:53 am I have a suspicion that this shoulder bolt might work.
https://www.grainger.com/product/FABORY-Standard-42NN90
That is a 5/8" (0.625) shoulder. Russ and I came up with slightly different shoulder lengths, and our measurements are in different threads. I have 11/16" (0.688), Russ said 21/32" (0.656). If I measure as accurately as I can I get 0.684". Best I can measure a knob the internal measurement is 0.638, but I'm not completely trusting accuracy on that. The shoulder needs to be slightly longer than 0.638 so the bolt seats on the shoulder.

The knob is plastic and could be easily modified to work with a 5/8" shoulder, IMO. The shoulder needs to protrude slightly to allow the knob to rotate on the shoulder.

- David
kgfaro
Gold Member

Post by kgfaro »

Thanks again guys I didn't include the issue with bolt on my original thread because I didn't get it yet. But thanks for the help I'm ordering the part from Grainger.
kgfaro
Gold Member

Post by kgfaro »

Just FYI SS got back to me told me I didn't order the whole set the screw I need is part# 523090 BUT is 9$ with shipping for one screw so I'm going to try the Grainger ones first
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I went out and did a couple more measurements I didn't include yesterday. The shoulder is 5/16" in diameter and the head is 7/16" diameter the same as the Granger screw. As for the the measurements mine are are close but not precise and could easily be off 1/32 of an inch, so David's may be as accurate or more so than mine.

I do find it interesting that part number 523090 shows no results on the Shopsmith Website and the original part number 513418 is still on the parts list on the site but not available.

It does look like the Granger part will work in place of the shopsmith provided screw. At the most, to make it work, the handle may need to be shaved off on the end to shorten the bore length for the screw's shoulder to protrude.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

BTW the screw 'fits' the SS tool kit.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange