Refurbishing a MkV 510

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

John4337
Gold Member

Re: Refurbishing a MkV 510

Post by John4337 »

Well, I was making a few test cuts when the power switch went bad. A replacement from Shopsmith arrived, but the instructions mention reusing a fiber insulator from the old switch. Sadly, I don't have one. So, is it something that encloses or covers the switch? how critical is it? Something I can fabricate?

Thanks

John

Update - found this that shows the piece

https://youtu.be/mbaidAlmhHI
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I would just wrap some black electrical tape around the body of the switch and the the exposed connectors. It is not critical. Even without it there is nothing metal in the head stock that can touch the contacts when the switch is installed. Notice in the video the newer switch has no insulator.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
John4337
Gold Member

Post by John4337 »

jsburger wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:10 pm I would just wrap some black electrical tape around the body of the switch and the the exposed connectors. It is not critical. Even without it there is nothing metal in the head stock that can touch the contacts when the switch is installed. Notice in the video the newer switch has no insulator.
I saw that about the new switch, was wondering if it had something to do with the different wiring. I made one out of poster board, came out good, but trying to install it was an epic fail, by the time I got it thru the access hole and in place, it was all crumpled up. I'll tape it.....
John4337
Gold Member

Post by John4337 »

I want to thank everyone for all the help. As I switch to learning how to use this, this thread will likely go dormant. To close it out, I thought I'd post this, I found my father's purchase invoice. Dated March of 1983, for the "show price" of $1214.00.

Thanks again.

John
Invoice (2).jpg
Invoice (2).jpg (255.96 KiB) Viewed 283 times