New Shopsmith Mark 4

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: New Shopsmith Mark 4

Post by JPG »

That makes much more sense than that 'Mark 4'.

More options however is gooder!

Re the weekly sales e-mails, good! They ARE listening!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

RFGuy wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:04 am Yeah, I think Shopsmith must be reading the forums and got tired of seeing comments saying that there isn't a Mark 4 so they had to go and make one. Customers must have run out of old machines on the used market to make into Shorty's...
So, where's the Mark 3? :D
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The email ad is a bit vague for both the New Mark 4 and the the New Mark V 520S. Both seem to start as a stripped down unit that can be added to later as needed. Of course you would need to add something t even get started. Interesting that the pictures of both the Mark 4 and the 520S have them on double tilt ends. I have to wonder if Shopsmith is phasing out the conventional base/arm and headrest we have come to know for all these years. So does the new Mark 4 and the new 520S have the table posts for the double tilt feature?
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A short Mark x makes more sense as a replacement for the power station. That is what most of us use them for.(or a sanding station).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:46 pm A short Mark x makes more sense as a replacement for the power station. That is what most of us use them for.(or a sanding station).
I can't speak for most of us but I hardly ever used my Shorty as a Power Station. I used the Shorty for all of my projects that needed the Mark V functions when I worked remote from my shop; kids, grand kids, inlaws, friends. Much more versatile than the Power Station and easier to transport than the full blown Mark V.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

chapmanruss wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:21 pm The email ad is a bit vague for both the New Mark 4 and the the New Mark V 520S. Both seem to start as a stripped down unit that can be added to later as needed. Of course you would need to add something t even get started. Interesting that the pictures of both the Mark 4 and the 520S have them on double tilt ends. I have to wonder if Shopsmith is phasing out the conventional base/arm and headrest we have come to know for all these years. So does the new Mark 4 and the new 520S have the table posts for the double tilt feature?
Why would they not. The new parts can and are being used as replacements and phasing them out reduces factory inventory.; no need to keep old tooling functional.

My Shorty was double tilt but I did it with repurposed Mark V parts.

I think there is a market but I fear that Shopsmith is going to price themselves out of it.You can buy a Shopsmith or two or three on ebay/CL every day for a lot less than a Mark 4. Why is it not a Mark IV???
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Ok, hang on. The deal for $4199 includes all the function packages and the table extensions. So that makes it the same as a Model 520, and $4199 is the price of a Model 520, yet they are saying you save $165 from the total cost of $4364 if you bought a 520S and all it's packages together instead of just buying a 520 at the regular price.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

edma194 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:32 am An extension table package is available separately, you should be able to use it with the Mark 4 also. And for $4199 you can buy the 520S with all 5 function packages, but without the extension table package.
Its been a while since I looked to see what is included, but that same $4199 will get you a 520. The most obvious differences are that the 520 includes the 'extension table package' but the 520S appears to include Double Tilt.

I'm a bit surprised they are offering the shorties. I love my 520 shorty. But you definitely notice the change in stability if you use it in a vertical mode. And with DT there is no place to put the Jointer to stabilize the CG. The PowerPro version might be a bit better, but I'd want to confirm.

Overall, I like the a la carte approach to getting the price down some.

- David
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

DLB wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:27 pm Its been a while since I looked to see what is included, but that same $4199 will get you a 520. The most obvious differences are that the 520 includes the 'extension table package' but the 520S appears to include Double Tilt.
I noted later that the $4199 price includes the extension tables, so it is really a 520.

Could they be dropping single tilt in the future? Why keep making the old castings, tie bars and latching mechanisms? Are the double tilt castings the same at both ends?

The cost of cutting the rack into both sides of the legs can't be that much higher than just one side, so going all double tilt eliminates another part they have to stock.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

edma194 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:44 pm
DLB wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:27 pm Its been a while since I looked to see what is included, but that same $4199 will get you a 520. The most obvious differences are that the 520 includes the 'extension table package' but the 520S appears to include Double Tilt.
I noted later that the $4199 price includes the extension tables, so it is really a 520.

Could they be dropping single tilt in the future? Why keep making the old castings, tie bars and latching mechanisms? Are the double tilt castings the same at both ends?

The cost of cutting the rack into both sides of the legs can't be that much higher than just one side, so going all double tilt eliminates another part they have to stock.
So if the $4199 price includes everything it is basically offering the DT option on a 520 for the same price. I think that's great, I'm a fan of the DT. Yes, DT castings are the same on both ends.

There seems to be a gap here, where is the stripped down Mark 7 that's not a shorty?

- David