Wooden Train for Christmas

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderator: admin

redleg
Gold Member

Wooden Train for Christmas

Post by redleg »

I made this train from Shopsmith Woodworking Projects I book also in Hands On and featured with the PowerPro ad. A simple design but still took several half days in the shop. This is a Christmas gift for my great grandson this year. The train ways in at 17 pounds and is 70 inches long. I added rails at the top of the flat bed to make it a little safer.
It could have been kindling
It could have been kindling
Shopsmith Train.jpg (67.43 KiB) Viewed 1696 times
:D Mark 7 Power Pro, Mark V 520 with Power Pro Headstock and shop made double tilt ends, Mark VII (early 1960s) Headstock wall mount drill press on Mark 5 way tubes, Mark 5 Shorty with reversible motor, Overhead Pin Router, 12" Shopsmith Pro Planer, Power station with band saw, Jointers, Belt Sanders, Strip Sander, Scroll saw, Jigsaw, Shopsmith Lathe Duplicator, Craftsman 2.5 hp 13" Planer/molder, Craftsman 5 hp 12-inch planer molder, myriad Shopsmith accessories.
john
Platinum Member

Re: Wooden Train for Christmas

Post by john »

Good Job!

I'm sure it will be enjoyed and treasured.

John
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I still recall when, at about three years of age, I was given a handmade wooden train by my father’s business partner. He was older gentleman named Mr. Knight, and it was one of my favorite toys ever.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Great job!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

bainin
Gold Member

Post by bainin »

Some things never lose their luster .. even though the world has seemingly moved on :)

b
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

It has a wonderful classic appeal, very good work!
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
redleg
Gold Member

Post by redleg »

Thanks everyone for the kind words. About 90% of it was from the scrap wood pile. I always wanted a toy train when I was a kid but there were eight of us growing up on a dairy farm. Maybe if I hadn't drank so much milk my folks could have got me one.
:D Mark 7 Power Pro, Mark V 520 with Power Pro Headstock and shop made double tilt ends, Mark VII (early 1960s) Headstock wall mount drill press on Mark 5 way tubes, Mark 5 Shorty with reversible motor, Overhead Pin Router, 12" Shopsmith Pro Planer, Power station with band saw, Jointers, Belt Sanders, Strip Sander, Scroll saw, Jigsaw, Shopsmith Lathe Duplicator, Craftsman 2.5 hp 13" Planer/molder, Craftsman 5 hp 12-inch planer molder, myriad Shopsmith accessories.
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

Nice train.

I make lots of toys. They seem simple at first glance, but they require you to think out of the box.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Out of the 'toy box'? :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
AEA
Gold Member

Post by AEA »

Very nice! Most likely become an heir loom piece for his great grand child. :)